• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why get a rabbit?

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
A friend of my mum had two rabbits (not sure what they were cant remember!) but when they were on holiday the friend that was looking after them couldnt catch them so called me to come get them out of the run (which resulted in scars i still have |: ) they were so un-tame and un loved, they were fed and watered and cleaned out but not handled. I asked after them today and found out one had died when i asked my mum how it died it turns out it had got fly strike and wasnt taken to the vet until last min because they hadnt noticed!

It makes me so angry! that poor rabbit was suffering and they hadnt even noticed! I dont belive they had ever even been to see a vet until that day.

why get a rabbit or two when your going to treat them like that, i love my sebastian so much i couldnt imagen doing that to him :(

It's heartbreaking isn't it?

Working in a vets, I see this every week and sometimes I feel like my words fall on deaf ears.

I hate this time of year (easter time) as I know that, come the summer months, many rabbits will be abandoned :(

its awfull :( im hoping to be able to work at a local animal centre after my exams ( i cant wait!) but im not sure i can cope with such horrid stories :( i just dont get it!

People very often get them on a whim, an impulse buy from a petshop.

They see a cute little baby that is easy to handle, most likely due to it being scared, and home they go with their 3ft "roomy" hutch.

The rabbit then quickly grows, becomes hormonal and territorial. Rabbit gets labelled as vicious. Noone will risk losing a finger so rabbit gets left, forgotten in it's prison cell.

Makes me soooo angry.

It's ignorance, I suppose. We have two rabbits and it wasn't until reading this site that I realised how much there was to know about their health and diet. Unfortunately, many people won't make the effort to find out about their pets, even checking what sex they are - which is why rescues are over-run.

I also think that the novelty of pets can wear off pretty quick, but that applies to all animals. Unfortunately, because rabbits are usually outside in hutches, it's easy just to leave them to it and think that sticking a carrot and water bowl in is enough. People don't see neglect as a form of cruelty.

Yeah I have seen similar too, the owner claimed to 'love' the bun, but only ventured to the bottom of the garden to feed it and clean it (which didnt take long as the hutch was tiny) and would then leave it again. I once asked on a visit to go see the bun to play with it and they wouldnt let me as it was 'boring'.

Grrr, makes me mad and sad that you cant take them away! :evil: :cry:

I was in Pets at Home today and there were loads of people with small children walking round the rabbits and guinea pigs enclosures cooing over the baby rabbits, there was a guy walking round with one in a cardboard pet carrier looking at the supplies like food, toys etc he had a toddler about 2 which was running around, it was like he was holding a basket of produce, not a live animal. There is no understanding of what it must be like for the animal to be picked up, taken away from it's litter mates and put into a cardboard box and then walked around a shop while they continue buying bits and bobs. I happen to know that those rabbits arrive on a Sunday morning aswell so how long have those babies been travelling before they are up for sale? I think banning all live animals being sold in pet shops is the only way to go and licensing for people who want to breed animals, they must have to adhere to strict guidelines for the welfare of their animals including using vets.

Otherwise as long as they are able to be purchased for no more than a couple of packets of cigarettes they are always going to be seen as disposable pets - novelty animals for the kids and either endure a miserable existence or if they are lucky find their way to a rescue.

It says a lot more about the people involved I think, they have a choice the animals don't.

I happen to know that those rabbits arrive on a Sunday morning aswell so how long have those babies been travelling before they are up for sale?.

I can't speak for all branches of Pets at Home, but I know that our local one often has signs up saying that certain animals aren't for sale until such and such a date, to let them settle in after arrival.

I'm a little confused by the phrasing of the above. Do you mean that you actually know the rabbit that was sold arrived that day? Or do you just mean that rabbits in general arrive on a Sunday? If it's the latter, then it's a bit of a leap to assume that the one sold must have just arrived.

Back