• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too much rabbit waste

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Ive got a problem with getting over run with rabbit waste,Our black bin is only emptied every fornight,were not allowed to take rabbit waste to the tip,Ive got a garden bin which i hide some in because your not allowed to put it in there,So ive got a pile of bags up the garden:? What does everyone do with theres?

We've only just gone onto fortnightly bin emptying but it's going to be a problem. I'm going to have to get organised and compost the bunny poo. Megazorb is biodegradable too so it should work okay.

Compost it

If you have a garden, it's brilliant stuff, including the hay, the shredded paper, whatever. Rabbit droppings are only processed grass and vegetable parings, after all.

If you haven't got a garden, your council may well offer a compostable collection service - ours does. I think there's a charge though. You get a second bin specially for all compostable stuff - they'll give you a list of what can go in.

Good luck.

I have a garden but i dont have enough flower beds to use what ive got:? I have a garden waste bin but u cant put rabbit waste in it

i have a backlog of black bags because of the rabbit litter! but, come the revolution, or a fine day, its going on the 'garden'!

Try all the tips in your area. The nearest one to me won't take it, but there are a few within a 10 mile radius that will (well they don't ask what's in your bags anyway!). I do end up driving rather a long way sometimes, but I'd rather do that than have it piling up in the garden.

I have trouble getting rid of mine there is a spare bin near my friends on the next street so i usually take some round there but i've still got about 6 bags in the yard

I've got one of those massive black composting bins (looks like a darlek) that you can get discounted from the council. All the bunny, chicken and garden waste goes in it. Makes great compost eventually.

I'm naughty and I burn it .. Although I have a proper burning bin and just empty my buns tray in there direct and burn it once every few weeks :oops:

i just put my black bags out in the street and the bin men take them away.. all them years i was jealous of the peeps getting wheely bins.. now im well chuffed i dont have them..

do the people at the tip actually open the bags to see whats inside? :shock:

Try freecycle or your local allotment society and see if anyone wants it.

Is there anything you can do to cut down on the amount of waste you produce? eg use vetbed instead of litter on the floor

i belive you can get another black/green/brown bin if you phone the council, i know my neighbour has two black and green bins (for some reason i dont know why :? )

Try freecycle or your local allotment society and see if anyone wants it.

Is there anything you can do to cut down on the amount of waste you produce? eg use vetbed instead of litter on the floor

Ive Tried to cut down:(,I only use litter trays even for the guniea pigs to cut down on waste

The other option is to pay for a bin from a private company. Might not work out that much more expensive than all the driving around to different tips.

We easily have over 10 bin bags every week. We seperate the used newspaper from the hay. The paper goes in the black bin and everyone elses in the street :oops: once a fortnight and the hay waste goes to a lovely old man down the road for his allotments :)

Freecycle is a good place to advertise rabbit waste and sometimes you get free veg in return :)

we have and had this problem we use fleece and towels for the pigs washed every two days this as cut down waste dramatically.The rabbits litter trays (thanks to a friend who helped me with training them) are empted into black bags and we have a skip every 6-8wks now to get rid of that.
Our tip wouldnt take no more than carrier bag full and they too open the bins to see whats inside too.

we have and had this problem we use fleece and towels for the pigs washed every two days this as cut down waste dramatically.The rabbits litter trays (thanks to a friend who helped me with training them) are empted into black bags and we have a skip every 6-8wks now to get rid of that.
Our tip wouldnt take no more than carrier bag full and they too open the bins to see whats inside too.

The guniea pigs are on towels and fleece but have litter trays with there hay in,All the rabbits have litter trays so i have 9 to emptey everyday:shock:

Back