• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

it looks like an abcess under his toe.....

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
i feel so ashamed....berties been suddenly behaving badly and pooping oddly..i meant to ring vets friday but this major depressive bout has got the betetr of me. i couldnt see anyhting obviously wrong...he was eating and pooping altho every other day hed need metaclop or a feed of cc.

today he was biting again but wanting a cuddle too. he nneded his claws doing but cant be done by myself alone...sonikki cut his nails whilst i held him on his back. then we saw something shocking....a nasty lump under his front foot durectly under a toe:(

it could be sore hock but it does look like an abscess.....its nastyand obviously agony for him.
so we gave him a feed and metacam.....then i gave him metaclop syrup.

i rang the vets in emsworth and he rang me back....he said sounds like an abscess..if so it might be a case of antibiotics..or at worst toe amputation.

i was going to wait and ring our usual vet but getting an appointment would take about tuesday maybe later.....
this vet said come in tomorrow morning and if its an abscess and an op is necessary..theyd do it there same day. wow!!!

so i have leaving him to snooze like i did past two or three days but hes more aleert now...hes been to the loo in his tray and as usual..on the floor:oops: but this time hes got an excuse;)

hes just played a little with a bit thats broken off his plastic slinky..his fave toy.

i am worried sick......i knew he needed to see a vet but couldnt see anyhting obvious...if i had fliped him onto his back id have seen it..being a frenchie i dont do that unless i have to as its hard for them to breath like that.

so please....any tips would be great..but please vibes for my big boy...hes going to need them.

i wonder now if the abscess on his chin a few years back that did go totally..was related to the pasturella he has now..and im guessing this suspected abscess is again related to the pasturella.

sigh. poor bertie:(

all i can say is take each day as it comes dont worry too much too soon he is obviosuly now on pain relief and has vetinary treatment vibes for bertie. x

Back