• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hocks :( advice please

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
One of Charlies hocks is a bit sore, the furs gone a bit and it's red, but its not cut/bleeding/absessed and he doesn't seem to find it painful at all, but I want to stop it getting worse before it affects him.

I think it's because his hutch floor is really worn down from him scratching it.

I want to change is accomidation anyway, would a dog crate be better on his feet than a worn wooden floor? :?

I'm going to find some old towels soon and cover upstairs of his hutch with them, anything else I can do?

Snowdrop had a phase of sore hocks but they have cleared up now. Hers were worse when se was on lino so I swapped her onto carpet and blankets and used sudacrem on them.

My bun has suffered from sore hocks since I changed her accomodation. She used to be on newspaper in a dog crate, then I put a puppy pen in front of the dog crate and she lived in there (whilst her new friend lived in the dog crate) and the carpet/rugs gave her sore hocks. I covered the floor wth fluffy blankets and her hocks got better.

However, i did take her to the vets to make sure she didn't have any underlying health issues to cause her to have sore hocks. We put her on Meloxydryl for a few weeks cos we thought she might have arthirits in her spine, as she definitely sits strangely sometimes. It made no difference to her posture at all, so I took her off it after a month and her hocks are still fine.

Good luck.

I know his nails are due for a clipping, so I'll do that tonight and see if that helps.
And I'll put towels and stuff in.

When he's out he spends most of his time on my bed so that'll be good for his foot anyway :lol:

Back