• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mini lops and their legs!

amyyy

New Kit
Lola is about 7 months old now and she seems to just not walk very well. She can jump about and run and binky and be a lively little thing but she just looks like she doesn't hop along well, sometimes has problems jumping and her legs are so tiny!

It's definitely not EC or broken bones or anything like that, she's been to the vet and she's a really healthy bunny. She's definitely not in any pain either, I wouldn't let her be.

Before we got her she had been kept in a hamster cage (and probably had been there since she was born :() just wondered if this might have stopped her developing properly as she didn't have space to obviously try and even walk anywhere, let alone jump.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Is it shiny floors she has problems on? Our mini-lop can cope with everything except wooden floors - where she slips and skids. These types of floor just don't seem to provide enough grip for buns.

I am sure that someone with expert knowledge will be along soon. There have been loads of posts recently about legs and walking.

Hope your bun is fine.

I am very surprised that no one else has replied. May I respectfully suggest that you alter the title to something more descriptive of the problem and re-post. Something like "Mini-Lop - Problems with Hopping - Advice Please", perhaps. People on this forum are so helpful and there have been loads of different posts recently about legs, hopping, possible injuries, buns with only three legs, etc.

I hope you get the advice you need soon.

Rum walks like a cat when she isn't sprinting/binkying I've often worried that she doesn't bound around "properly".

I'm sure Lola is fine if she's jumping and binkying ok without any signs of discomfort. :)

Never noticed anything like that with my two. Mini had a broken hip due to dislocation but she still jumps very high - she can get on and off my bed with ease. Mischa can get on but not off as he's a bit lacking in confidence and kinda ends up hurling himself off in a very ungainly manner.

Certainly if she had been kept in a small hamster cage as a developing youngster then her back legs/ muscles, tendons,sinews may not have developed properly. However if she seems happy with life & is binkying around then I dont think you have anything to worry about. Many animals live long & happy life without full use of all limbs. If you are still worried then speak to your vet or get a second opinion from another vet

Back