• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often can i give Metacam?

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
I know its ideally a 24 hour apart dosage, but i have given Inca her dose of Metacam at 11am since friday.
Now that im going to work tomorrow, would it be ok to give her her next dose at 6am instead?

i was advised 12hourly was better so i split the dose over two sessions.....but others are better 24hrs apart. odd isnt it?

Thanks, i'm just going to give her it at 6am, seems a better option than waiting until 6pm!

Im a vet nurse and we always prescribed twice daily dosing as rabbits metabolise metacam more quickly than cats and dogs so twice daily dosing is said to be more effective for the rabbit. HOWEVER it does depend on the dose you are giving. You CANNOT give a once daily dose, twice daily as you will over dose the rabbit (in cats and dogs, overdosing metacam can lead to kidney dysfunction and gastric ulceration. There have been no testing specifically in rabbits as the drug is not licensed for them, so we cant be sure of long term effects or overdosing effects)

I would recommend you speak to your vet re dosing twice daily and the dose to be given. We use the dose receommended by the vets who have spoken at the RWF rabbit conference. That dose is 0.1-0.2mls per kg twice daily.

Hope that helps. I would like to stress that you should discuss dosing with your vet before you change what he/she has recommended.

Thanks for that.

My vet has recommended 4 drops once a day.
I am not intending on changing the dose, just giving her it some hours early.

As she was previously on 8 drops once a day, i dont feel that this is overdosing her, as in a worst case i will be giving her the dose that she had before.

Back