• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

outdoor vs indoor - what do you think?

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Apart from the obvious benefits of seeing the bunnies more often - would it be right to say that house bunnies are easier to care for? Seriously thinking of bringing Benny and Lola in. Can anyone think of any benefits of keeping them outside - they are very happy where they are but also love the house, I think they would be happy inside as long as they get plenty of play outdoors. Any comments greatfully received. :wave:

a hard question - on the nice sunny days i prefer looking after my outdoor buns, but on cold winter nights i'm thankful i have some indoor buns as i can spend more time with them without having to sit in the cold!

Because my outdoor buns are in a big shed, i can stay warm and dry while spending time with them. Yes i do see more of my indoor buns, but they are both single so benifit from this. But i believe my pairs all prefer being outdoors, where they have loads of space and can make as much mess as they want.

hmmm. They do like it outside. Maybe I'm thinking of what I want rather than what they would want. Oh if only they could talk!!! :(

I think it is harder having indoor buns. The mess, making sure they don't destroy the place etc but i love having them inside. I think they are used to being indoors and are easily spooked outside but thats because they are spoiled rotten indoors and rule the household.
The living room is a hutch and the kitchen was turned in to a 'medical room' when hayden got ill my oh said. He hates them indoors.
I do think they should get some time outdoors when it is nice though.
Saying that if I had a secure garden they would prob go outside in a large shed. I could go and sit with them every night and have my house back. :lol: but i do love the company :love:

house rabbits for me :love: but they still get to play outside on nice days

Mine love playing in the snow. If they were indoor buns, could I still let them out in the snow?

feb10024.jpg

Mine love playing in the snow. If they were indoor buns, could I still let them out in the snow?

No, unfortunately not. They'd lose all their thick winter fur if you brought them inside, and it would be cruel to put them out in minus tempertures.

I think indoor buns are MUCH more work, though my bond with G + P has got stronger.

i think its different to everyone and what suits you nd your buns best, i used to have rabbits in hutches outdoors, but ever since i had rosie, she decided to refuse to go in a hutch when she was a baby, soo became a houe rabbit

i find it much easier, cleaner and easier but others may prefer outdoor bunnies, my bunnies are very well trained, not to chew things or drag hay anywhere

No, unfortunately not. They'd lose all their thick winter fur if you brought them inside, and it would be cruel to put them out in minus tempertures.

Agreed. It'd be like us going out in the snow with no coat on, brrrrrr. It can also cause respiratory problems.

I think indoor buns are MUCH more work, though my bond with G + P has got stronger.

I think I just want them in for myself because I miss them when I can't see em!! The mess doesn't bother me, but I think they would miss getting out to play even in the cold.

Thanks for the comments. They live in an 8x4 condo type structure with an upstairs to snuggle and poop in - very warm and dry. Maybe I should compromise and get them a shed to attach on. I could sit in the shed and play with them..... I know they'd hate it all winter if they couldnt get out for their twice daily romp!!

Ive had buns indoor and outdoor and mine definetely prefer outdoor, they have a huge garage and garden to play in and i love watching them sunbathe and zoom round. I guess it depends on your individual circumstances and your bunnies.

Ive had buns indoor and outdoor and mine definetely prefer outdoor, they have a huge garage and garden to play in and i love watching them sunbathe and zoom round. I guess it depends on your individual circumstances and your bunnies.

I think mine are the same. I think they like inside as a novelty - they def prefer me to keep the kitchen door open so they can choose to go out again.

Doh!! I'll do whatever keeps them happiest though. :?

All mine have been outdoor buns and I spend as much time with them as people who have indoor buns so house buns don't always get more attention that outdoor buns. My two have been moved into the house now for a few weeks and I don't think they like it, one of them isn't happy at all :(

I have indoor buns that I 'think' i am going to move them out to a shed/aviary in the summer :cry:

I do spend time with them indoors but not as much as I would like as they are in the spare room, if they were permantely downstairs I think it would be different but they will have triple the amount of space outside plus free-range zoom time out in the garden which they dont really get inside - they do free-range most of the evening but not really a huge amount of space to zoom around like they like to!

I can also watch them from the kitchen and I think i will see them far more if they were outside - especially in the summer - though i do worry about the winter not seeing them so much :cry:

The living room is a hutch

its not just me, then? other people are allowed to share a biggish hutch with their indoor buns? but its my name on the mortgage...

its not just me, then? other people are allowed to share a biggish hutch with their indoor buns? but its my name on the mortgage...

LOL. It works like this. The treasury is responsible for the money, however, it is the King or Queen who decides how it is spent. In this scenario, you are the treasurer, the buns are the King or Queen. :D

:lol:

Only the living room?

My one bunny if better off indoors because of her coat. The other grew up indoors. I prefer them in - don't trust Mr Fox. And you can spot when they not well sooner if you haven't the time to spend outdoors with them.

Back