• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

refusing to drink from a bottle but will drink out of a bowl...

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Alyssa has always been a good drinker however just recently she will only drink out of a bowl... why is this? her bottle works fine :s

Im not sure... Ive checked its working etc... perhaps shes going lazy - shes nearly 5 now.

hmm... we thought it was something funny :s

Is she a dental bun? It could be that her mouth's sore.

no, touch wood, we're due for vaccs v shortly so they'll check them then,
shes eating like a trojan tho...

when I think back, her bottle fell off afew days ago while we were out for 4 hrs - could it have something to do with that?

Perhaps she just prefers it, so now you've given her a bowl she doesn't need or want to use the bottle. If you really need her to only have a bottle then surely she'll use it eventually if there is no bowl to drink out of.

I personally don't like bottles, they always drip, difficult to clean etc etc I've used bowls for years now.

She might just prefer it, all mine have had bowls :) Trip and Scarlett have a bottle and a bowl and the pair of them will go down to the run to drink from the bowl rather than use the bottle which is in the hutch

Only problem with bowls is mine seem to knock them over! They are in my room at the moment so don't have the bottle right now as nowhere to attach it, the bowl is heavy but Scarlett still manages to tip it every night :roll: Failing that she sits in it :lol:

When I got my rabbits, one used to drink from a bowl and the other from a bottle. Now they both only drink from the bowl so I don't bother with the bottle any longer.

Only problem with bowls is mine seem to knock them over! They are in my room at the moment so don't have the bottle right now as nowhere to attach it, the bowl is heavy but Scarlett still manages to tip it every night :roll: Failing that she sits in it :lol:

Min eused to do that with small bowls, they now have 7 inch crock dog bowls, theres no way even my clumbsy frenchie can knock that over - although he does regularly stand in it and dunks his massive ears in it. (I've found the mason cash bowls are the heaviest).

Perhaps she's a very refined and socially trained rabbit that will only drink out of the correct vessel? "Water in 'that', that will never do". Followed by, "Have my butler bring the correct glasses immediately". Does the bowl have to be served on a silver tray, with a linen cloth? Does she use a napkin to wipe her mouth after pellets?

Sounds like a very clever bunny. Of course, the suggestions others have made are more likely.

Mine only drinks from a bowl but I don't have anywhere to put a bottle anyway as not cage bars in sight to use :D
I agree that its more natural from a bowl as well.

One of our older buns did that recently, he's always had a bottle, we took him to see a vet because it just wasn't like him and it ended up being his teeth!

Min eused to do that with small bowls, they now have 7 inch crock dog bowls, theres no way even my clumbsy frenchie can knock that over - although he does regularly stand in it and dunks his massive ears in it. (I've found the mason cash bowls are the heaviest).

Thanks hun, its actually a mason cash one I have :lol: I think she is kicking the side of it, there is no way she is flipping it over with her mouth :shock: She is a normal size bunny but still I am looking at the bowl and thinking WTF :lol: Its quite a big bowl, she can sit in it comfortably but I think I need to get a bigger and heavier one really

I used to put a bottle and a bowl in Austins cage but he eventually stopped using the bottle so only had a bowl now, the only thing i dont like about it is he is soo fluffy his hair ends up floating it so i end up changing it 2 or 3 times a day :)

I used to put a bottle and a bowl in Austins cage but he eventually stopped using the bottle so only had a bowl now, the only thing i dont like about it is he is soo fluffy his hair ends up floating it so i end up changing it 2 or 3 times a day :)

This is what I did. Put both in for Pie. She always went for the bowl so thats what she got. But it does need clening out alot (Like Lauralopps said!) :roll:

Back