• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

catching freeranging buns

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Now it's sunnier I'm giving Buzz lots of freeranging time in the garden under my supervision. He's out for a few hours and then I try to get him to go back in his run... no chance. So I have to "catch" him. This usually involves cornering him, bending down and grabbing him as he runs past (I have tried throwing a blanket over him but he keeps running...) I usually get hold of his hind quarters and then have to hold him back to get him still so I can pick him up and pop him back in his run. The same happens with Ruby when she used to freerange last summer/autumn (whereas Ralph just takes the hint and hops back into his run.)

Does this hurt them? Does anyone else have to do this with their buns?

I trained mine to go back to the shed by feeding them their pellets as soon as they went in. I know lots of people have done the same.

You can do it with a clicker or just calling for them. Try to herd your bunny towards the hutch/run and get him to go in himself, even if you have to nudge him in at first, then give him pellets/veg or whatever straight away. You can use a towel or something to herd them with if needed, but try not to pick him up and carry him over. They learn really quickly - mine got to the point that every time I opened the door to step into the garden they sprinted off towards the shed in the hope it was tea-time :D

Now it's sunnier I'm giving Buzz lots of freeranging time in the garden under my supervision. He's out for a few hours and then I try to get him to go back in his run... no chance. So I have to "catch" him. This usually involves cornering him, bending down and grabbing him as he runs past (I have tried throwing a blanket over him but he keeps running...) I usually get hold of his hind quarters and then have to hold him back to get him still so I can pick him up and pop him back in his run. The same happens with Ruby when she used to freerange last summer/autumn (whereas Ralph just takes the hint and hops back into his run.)

Does this hurt them? Does anyone else have to do this with their buns?

Mine can sometime play up.But i clap my hands and chase and guide them back to thier hutch and they usually go in also a banging of their food bowls gets them interested.Or when it is warm in the summer they just give up and lie on the ground. Good Luck.

What about rattling the pellets tin or offering a favourite veg. My lot would do anything for their favourite treat :lol:

I think the solutions you're all describing are ones where I need to get more into a routine. The thing is, freerange time is completely random...it depends when I'm working or what time I get back from somewhere, rather than being home every day at 4pm etc...

Are your bun's freeranging times always at the same time of day?

Charlie knows the word "Bed", but it's easier to train him because he's indoors and in my bedroom.
But he just goes in when I tell him to

I don't think it matters about being the same time, you can still reward with something even if just literally three or four pellets or a bit of veg. Mine generally went in when it started getting dark but I often had to put them back in for periods during the day while I went out etc. Once they learn it they will do it any time.

yes mine always go back when there is food involved - Cant you give a treat everytime they go back? May take a while - even just a few pellets - the rattle of the bag always works for mine!!

I have found that the slower I approach Mint, the easier it is. So, at first when I approach him he goes crazy running round and round my legs and then when he stops I slowly reach one hand out towards him (almost slow motion) and then gently stroke his nose and slowly put my other hand around his shoulders and - job done ! This took me a few months to achieve though, and involved trying the slow and patient a few times every time I tried to pick him up to take him back to the playhouse.

I too make sure there is something nice to eat once he is returned - a few of his favourite weeds usually go down well.

Another method I have if he is in his playhouse run - For some really odd reason Mint will run to the playhouse if I shut the wire stable gate thing. It is almost like he is worried that he will be shut out of his home. So, I hold the gate shut and then he pushes it open to get in. If the wire gate is open he will run away. Odd ?!

Last edited:
All of what you guys are saying sounds like Ralph...he hates being left out of things, or forgotten (like Mint!) and so will make every effort to be where you need him to be. But Buzz and Ruby are just different.

I do give them treats when they get back in the run..I suppose I've just got to keep doing it until they get the message...

The slow idea might be a good one - as all rabbit's instincts tell them to run away if they are followed/chased don't they?

I think the solutions you're all describing are ones where I need to get more into a routine. The thing is, freerange time is completely random...it depends when I'm working or what time I get back from somewhere, rather than being home every day at 4pm etc...

Are your bun's freeranging times always at the same time of day?

my free range time is random but they always get a treat when they go in i heard them in saying in an excited voice "bedtime" and i click my fingers now whenever i walk outside and click my fingers saying bedtime dora and arthur run in....they a bit more tricky at mums as its not usual place but generally have no problems kitty and coco go in by having food in there for them and me again walking behind them clicking my fingers sayign bedtime.... neighbours must think im crackers!!!! :lol::roll::lol:

I have a routine within mine, so yes they generally bring themselves back indoors :D

I have accidentally trained Muppet to come in when I wave a yellow broom at him :shock: I used to use it to poke him out from under hedges (where he was hiding out of reach, refusing to come in) and now he knows if the broom comes out, he has to go in! :lol: I can follow him round for a few minutes and he'll take no notice of me at all, but if I get the broom he realises it's time :D

Mine would follow me when shaking the pellet bag. You could try him with a carrot and, as he is eating it, pop him in a carrier to take him to the hutch.

How lovely

I LOVE the yellow broom idea!

But I don't think it'd work on ours...

Yes, they get treats on arrival back home, and they know they will.

No, home is not in the rabbit garden - home is by the back door where there is shelter in winter and shade in summer, whereas the rabbit garden is a bit more exposed, apart from the various trees and shrubs. So carrying is involved. And that twice daily handling is when quick health checks can be made, and important human-bun bonding.

But catching the rabbits is exercise for everyone here. Especially my OH, who tends to be the one doing it. Yes, it's all about routine, and they've got us sorted! They love to give us the runaround.

There's a track around the outside of the borders (they don't stick to the lawn and paths - that'd be too easy). You can see which conifers they dive under - there are nice hollws there. They pause there until we're close, and then they're off again! This goes on for a few minutues, until they've decided we've had enough exercise.

There's a leader in this. It used to be Bunster, who LOVED this game of tag, and dodged and dived like Shame Wotsit who plays rugby for Wales. Buffy was docile by comparison, and gave herself up after a bit of aimless hoppity. But when Bunster died, she took over as lead evader, and is getting ever more skilled at dodging.

Lovely docile Sausage used to stay still and wait to be picked up. But not now - even he does some skippety hop first.

Never underestimate rabbits!

its a lot easier when you have two 6kg rabbits bouncing about :p Seriously though, they used to go in when I called them, but now I have to chase them in :roll:

Mine learned very quickly to follow me to their condo because I always have food for them! In fact they follow me everywhere in the hope of getting something. Where ever I am - they are there periscoping!!! You could try just having food wherever you go and they might get used to knowing you are the food bank!!:D

I think you all may have a point.

I need to go round with one of those old fashioned cinema/theatre interval trays filled with rabbit treats so they learn to see me as a constant free food bank!

Alfie and Bubbles take themselves back home at the sound of pellets rattling in a bowl too. :) I started by making a point of rattling the food bowl before giving it to them, just so they associated the sound with the food. Then, after a while, I would rattle the bowl and get them to follow me back into their home. Now, they just hear the rattle and take themselves back in. :)

It doesn't matter about routine, once they get used to the sound and what it means. It works for me, whether they've been freeranging for an hour or 3 hrs and no matter what the time is, it just means that their dinner time isn't at the same time each day.

Mine are all clicker trained, it was really easy and only took an afternoon

Here is a video of Buu going from her run to her hutch, please ignore my voice I am not sure why I am talking to her like that :lol:

I could call her into her hutch or her run from anywhere in the house or garden and she always went straight in no problems at all. Could also call her into the house from the garden and she always responded straight away and came straight in

Beau couldn't get into his hutch by himself and didn't like being handled so I had this laundry basket with blankets inside and I clicker trained him to get in the basket. Again that took like no more than a few hours to teach him. When I wanted to put him back into his hutch I just took his basket to the middle of the garden and called him to jump in, he always got straight in then I took him to his hutch

Routine has never made any difference with my lot. They do get fed at the same time every day but Beau would still jump in his basket after he had eaten. Their free range garden time isn't always the same :)

Back