• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think of this info for rescue site?

DDD

Mama Doe
Any comments please, or things that could be added. I don't want to write loads, as want it to fit on 1 page to make sure people read it.

There are approximately one million rabbits kept as pets in the UK, and at the last count, about 33,000 in rescue centres. Rabbits are the third most popular pet, but are often the first pet of the household to go, if situations change.
Rabbits are complex characters, and are not suitable as children’s pets. They are great fun to keep, and very rewarding. Many people now keep them as house rabbits.
Rabbits are athletic creatures, and need space to run, jump, lie down, and investigate their area. As rabbits are prey animals, they need to live in a secure place, away from the sight and smell of predators, especially foxes. Rabbits are intelligent and can be litter trained. They need to have access to a draft free, damp free environment. Rabbits should be kept at the minimum in a hutch size of 6 x2 x2 foot, and access to daily exercise, preferably in an attached run. They can live in sheds, dog kennels, and indoors.
A rabbit’s diet should consist of plenty of fresh hay, grass, appropriate vegetables and a supply of fresh water. Pellets or mix should be fed as a complimentary food, and as per the manufacturers’ instructions. If you notice that your rabbit has not eaten, or poo’d then it needs to see a vet immediately as it could be seriously ill.
Rabbits are very sociable animals, and should be kept with other rabbit/s, neutered of course to prevent more rabbits! All rabbits adopted from ………………………………. will be neutered before rehoming. Rabbits require 3 vaccinations per year. 2 for myxomatosis and 1 for viral haemmorhagic disease (VHD).
Rabbits need to be checked on regularly, in particular in the summer months, when they become vulnerable to fly strike. This can happen if your rabbit gets a dirty back end, and flies lay eggs in the dirt, which then hatch maggots. These maggots infest the rabbits and it can be fatal. Some rabbits require daily grooming, this depends on their fur.

Sounds really detailed and yet concise :) Maybe mention that they can also be free range house buns with the right bunny proofing and litter training? Just a suggestion, I think its fab how it is
xxx

How about putting the info in an easier to read format ?

Something like this :

Rabbit Facts-Did you know that.........

1. Rabbits are the third most popular domestic pet yet thousands of them end up in Rescues as 'no longer wanted'. At the last count there were over 33,000 Rabbits in Rescues all over the UK.

2. Rabbits are herbivores and their diet should be 80-90% hay/grass which should be available 24/7 along with water.The rest of the diet being a variety of Vegetables, Herbs and edible weeds. Commercial concentrated feeds, either a nugget or a Muesli Mix, should only be fed sparingly.

3. Rabbit's teeth grow continuously. Feeding the correct diet (as detailed in '2' ) will insure that your Rabbit's teeth wear down correctly. This prevents the developement of Dental Disease and digestive problems.

4. Rabbits need space. Gone are the days when it was acceptable for a Rabbit to be kept in a tiny hutch. It is recommended that the minimum hutch size for two medium sized Rabbits is 6ftx2ftx2ft with a permanently attatched run. A Shed or outdoor Dog Kennel/run would be even better. The opportunity for supervised 'Free Ranging' exercise on a daily basis is also strongly recommended.

5. Rabbits can live in your house and be part of your Family as a House Rabbit. They can be litterbox trained. You will need to bunny proof your home though, particularly electric cables as Bunnies like to nibble them !!

6. Rabbits need company. It is recommended that Rabbits have the companionship of their own species, a neutered Buck (male) and a spayed Doe (female) usually being the best combination. Rabbits should never be kept with Guinea Pigs.

7. Rabbits need Vaccinating against two lethal diseases. The Myxomatosis vaccination is given every 6 months and the Viral Haemorrhagic Disease Vaccination (VHD) is given every 12 months.

8. Rabbits are prey animals. This means that they are very good at hiding any sign of illness (which would render a prey animal vulnerable). It is very important to make sure that your Rabbit is eating and passing faeces regularly throughout the day. A sure sign that all is not well is food refusal or a reduction in fecal output. It is seldom appropriate to 'wait and see' if you think your Rabbit may be unwell. A Vet should be consulted as soon as possible.

9. Rabbits dont like being picked up, in the wild they are only likely to be lifted off the ground when they are about to become a predator's dinner. For this reason Rabbits are not really suitable as a Pet for a child. The child is likely to want to hold their Pet and more often than not the Rabbit is not happy with this. It is obviously necessary for an adult to be able to pick the Rabbit up to check them over, groom them and make sure their rear end is clean. Flies are attracted to a soiled rear-end and this could result in Flystrike which can be fatal.

10. Rabbits may be complex creatures and most definately not 'low maintainance'. But with the right care and attention they make wonderful and rewarding Pets.

Perfect, I definatly prefer the format as it breaks down the info making it easier for new bunny parents to absorb. Good work!
xx

Just another thought, maybe put something in about the fact that when rabbits come of age and get their hormones their behaviour may change quite dramatically and that it's advisable to get them fixed (especially females as it removes the risk of uterine cancer)
I think alot of new bunny owners don't realise this and are shocked when they're little cuddly darling turns into a sex crazed maniac!
xxx

Thanks for all input. When I wrote it in word, it was in paragraphs, just didn't transfer like than when I pasted it on here. I am going to spend some time tomorrow going through all ideas and will update my info. Thanks again everyone!

Back