• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies always stop eating when in pain?

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
I've been thinking about this today as Bella injured her leg last night. She must be in pain still but her attitude towards food hasn't changed one bit,she's still wolfing down her pellets and eating plenty of hay. She is also drinking well. Does this mean that she isn't feeling too bad? I know rabbits are good at hiding signs of illness/injury but there is a huge difference now from what she was acting like last night when it happened. She's really perked up a lot.

No, not necesarily. I have had lots of bunnies that have turned out to be in significant pain yet continued to eat through out :(

Aw no :( Well I suppose it can be good in a way because if they stop eating it just gets worse doesn't it :( But it's also really worrying because I had probably not discovered Boris's recent bout of stasis as quickly as I did had it not been for his lack of interest in food. How on earth are you supposed to know what's going on if they're not showing any signs of pain? :(

Last edited:
Aw no :( Well I suppose it can be good in a way because if they stop eating it just gets worse doesn't it :( But it's also really worrying because I had probably not discovered Boris's recent bout of stasis as quickly as I did had it not been for his lack of interest in food. How on earth are you supposed to know what's going on if they're not showing any signs of pain? :(

Stasis always presents as reluctance to eat because it's a slow down/shut down of the GI system.

Teeth grinding is a sign of pain too, as is sitting hunched up for long periods of time, or being unable to find a comfortable position to sit in.

Back