• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emotional rollercoaster with Flynn today

ShazzaBunny

Warren Veteran
This wee boy have my heart broken then leaping for joy every few minutes.

When i got up this morning Flynn was fine, his head is fully tilted now, but he is ok, managing. Anyway, he was getting about and eating nicely.

Then a few hours later he had a massive amount of balance issues. I had him on my lap (convinced i was losing him), phoned my vet, but they were closed (half day on a Sat). Phoned the emergency number and got through to the vet in Stirling. The last time i went there with Flynn as an emergency he had paralysis and they wanted him PTS and told me wrong information etc. So, i had a dilema, not wanting to see them, but desperate for Flynn.

I decided to stay here, and propped him up with fleeces and towels. After a further 20 mins he started eating everything in sight, sitting up nicely and seeming fine.

He is currently upright, resting and content. I just dont know what to think or do.

Sorry your going through this, I know how hard it is when you have a bunny with headtilt.
Loads of vibes for your bunny and hugs for you

Thank you. He is on baytril, flagyl-s and metacam. It is not EC related, it is an ear abscess. He has had surgery a couple of months ago, but it has returned and we are out of options :(. He is coping at the moment and enjoying life, but we know he is on borrowed time. He is a strong bunny, a fighter, which makes it very difficult to know when he is not happy.

:(:(:( im sorry. least hes havin up times and enjoying them. :love::love:

poor little angel i wish i could find that magic wand ive been looking for

Mine had an ear infection too, I know it's awful to watch your bunny go through it.

This is just my opinion and I'm only trying to give you another view, but I was back and forth from the vets nearly everyday for a month, I changed vets all the time as I didnt think they were trying everything possible.
I got to the point where my bunny couldn't stop rolling and I knew it was time to let go.
If you are seeing improvements, no matter how small hang in there but in the end I just thought my bunny had no quality of life.

I have my fingers crossed for you and your bunny and really hope he gets better

Thank you Donna, a magic wand sounds wonderful, then your Pearl and my Flynn would be fine and we could both stop worrying.

Thank you Laura. My vet has been very good with Flynn throughout, so i am lucky.
Your right, about quality of life. It can be so hard to moniter with bunnies, but i think as long as the good times out number the bad, then they are happy to carry on.

When Pootle had head tilt we were recommended to try oral Zithromax, which you can combine with sub-cut penicillin. It didn't work for us (Pootle was a very severe case and was a very old rabbit :() but apparently lots of people have reported success.

Dana Krempels apparently has lots of experience with treating head tilt, so perhaps ask on Etherbun?

I spoke to her too about mine.
She actually suggested mine had head tilt from some symptoms I emailed her about before the headtilt became obvious, like from my bunny sneezing, having runny eyes and flicking her head a lot. she is excellent and knows so much about bunnies.
There is a help forum on yahoo called on the wonk with people who have bunnies with head tilt.. you might want to go there as well as they know all the different meds and more than anything gave me a lot of support and advice when I needed it most.

i would recomend on the wonk group www.onthewonk.co.uk ..katy who runs it helped save my bunny Siouxsie...you can read her story on the site. Katy gave me so much support and recomended the zithromax which worked miracles..i still can't believe we saved her! headtilt is a terrible thing to witness and bunnies look so distressed but i do think it's worse for us to watch! siouxise used to lay on her side almost upside down and it would make me cry..then she'd start nibbling on her parsley...upside down!!
hang in there!!

hope Flynn keeps perking up for you, I understand how you must feel.

I dont have any good advice unfortunately :( is it the ear abscess that is causing him to be so ill? What vet do you go to?

Thank you abbymarysmokey, laura and lisa. I am willing to try anything just now and your advice. I have checked out The Wonk and am reading through it, very interesting information and advice there.

Thanks Jane, Flynn is doing better today. I stayed with him last night and he rolled a few times, but managed to right himself. This said, there are "bumpers" everywhere, the whole cage is lined with vetbed, rolled towels and fleeces, its like he is in a padded cell. Flynn is eating like there is no tomorrow, but i am currently giving him as much as he wants. His low activity level means he wont work it off, but at the same time, he is fighting very hard so needs to remain strong.

Laura, thanks for your support. I go to Pets Friend in Stenhousemuir, David Charity is an awesome vet. I have tried most of the vets in Falkirk, and i definatly find him the best.

Sorry to readabout Flynn shaz I am keeping everything cross here and hope he gets a little better. If there anything I can do to help give me a shout. I know the vet you mean in stirling :( I know your not that keen on mine but they run there own emergancy service if thats any good to you

Thank you all for asking and for the advice. Flynn is doing much better today, good appetite and not so unsteady. 9 times out of 10 he has got himself up if he rolls, before i get to him.

Collielover, which vet is it you use again? I know we have discussed this before, but i cant remember. I know i am a bit over opinionated on vets, but i would genuinly go anywhere before going back to Stirling.

I posted this a couple of minutes before Laura asked how he was, just encase you missed it, i wanted to let you know i am grateful for all your help and support everyone.

Thank you abbymarysmokey, laura and lisa. I am willing to try anything just now and your advice. I have checked out The Wonk and am reading through it, very interesting information and advice there.

Thanks Jane, Flynn is doing better today. I stayed with him last night and he rolled a few times, but managed to right himself. This said, there are "bumpers" everywhere, the whole cage is lined with vetbed, rolled towels and fleeces, its like he is in a padded cell. Flynn is eating like there is no tomorrow, but i am currently giving him as much as he wants. His low activity level means he wont work it off, but at the same time, he is fighting very hard so needs to remain strong.

Laura, thanks for your support. I go to Pets Friend in Stenhousemuir, David Charity is an awesome vet. I have tried most of the vets in Falkirk, and i definatly find him the best.

I'm glad he is better today.
The fact he can right himself is a great sign.
Big hugs for you and nose rubs for Flynn

Back