• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Anti free-ads advert' U/D It's been a success! :)

georgie_f

Mama Doe
Hi!

I've been on the local free-ads again :oops: (I know, I know, stop looking!!). There seem to be a lot of adverts for teeny tiny little hutches at the moment, plus the usual unwanted rabbits and breeders selling babies.

I've set up a new account under the name 'RWA guidelines' and intend to post an advert about hutch size guidelines, the importance of neutering and vaccinating, stats about how many rabbits are in rescues across the country waiting for homes etc etc. Repeating the advert every time it expires. It will probably get ignored but even if one person reads it and decides against buying one of the tiny hutches, I'll consider it a success!

Now I've set up the account, I can't seem to sort what words I want to use out in my head! :roll:

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to word the advert? What to use as the advert title? Or stats and facts I should include? Also, does anyone have a good bunny set up picture they wouldn't mind me posting on the advert?

Also, I think if there are a few of you that are willing to do something similar on your own local free-ad sites, we may be able to save a few buns from quite so rubbish lives. :wave:

ETA - have changed my user name to 'bunnies4life' so as not to tread on the RWA's toes! :wave:

Last edited:
If you are using the RWA guidelines as your standards for the information you wish to give, I would contact them (RWA) and ask if they can help you with your idea.

It is a minefield trying to show people on such places how to behave for the benefit of the rabbit and something that needs to be balanced. Sadly the sort of people who advertise on freeads don't care much for the animal, but are probably more bothered about the income so you are on the back foot before you even start.

Definitely worth tying to do something but it may not be in your favour to quote 'rules' or 'guidelines' as the way to get your message across.

Good luck and well done for trying.

Hi!

I've been on the local free-ads again :oops: (I know, I know, stop looking!!). There seem to be a lot of adverts for teeny tiny little hutches at the moment, plus the usual unwanted rabbits and breeders selling babies.

I've set up a new account under the name 'RWA guidelines' and intend to post an advert about hutch size guidelines, the importance of neutering and vaccinating, stats about how many rabbits are in rescues across the country waiting for homes etc etc. Repeating the advert every time it expires. It will probably get ignored but even if one person reads it and decides against buying one of the tiny hutches, I'll consider it a success!

Now I've set up the account, I can't seem to sort what words I want to use out in my head! :roll:

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to word the advert? What to use as the advert title? Or stats and facts I should include? Also, does anyone have a good bunny set up picture they wouldn't mind me posting on the advert?

Also, I think if there are a few of you that are willing to do something similar on your own local free-ad sites, we may be able to save a few buns from quite so rubbish lives. :wave:

May I respectfully offer the following for your consideration. I am sure you will get many more (and better) suggestions from others on this forum.

Advert title

“Bunnies - Think before you buy”

I think that “RWA Guidelines” might cause people to just bypass it because they never look at “guidelines” in their lives.

Wording for advert
Rabbits are the third most popular pet in the UK (after cats and dogs) - and for good reasons. These beautiful, affectionate, intelligent and inquisitive creatures make excellent pets and companion animals. However, they are not the maintenance-free pets that many people are led to believe. They are totally dependent on their human owners and carers for the safety and quality of their lives. At the moment, there are over 33,000 unwanted rabbits in rescues because their owners either changed their minds about wanting them or no longer could (or would) care for them. This is through no fault of the rabbit - they can’t decide for themselves that they are “disposable” and that their life is no longer of any value to anyone. Owning a rabbit is a great privilege and can be a great delight. But they are also a great responsibility that must be considered carefully before they are bought. Owning a rabbit is a life-long commitment throughout the rabbit’s life. Its life is, quite literally, in its owners hands.

They need adequate housing - not a pokey hutch no bigger than a dustbin. They need the right food, space to exercise and play in safety and regular checks by a vet. They also need companionship. Rabbits are social creatures that need the company of other (neutered) rabbits - not solitary confinement imprisoned in a hutch at the bottom of the garden. None of these responsibilities come free of cost. Rabbits cost as much as a cat or dog to own and care for properly.

Although they always remain cute, rabbits do not remain the little bundles of fluff that humans find so appealing. Within months, they become hormonal ‘teenagers’ and fully capable of the one thing for which rabbits are rightly famous - producing more rabbits! They need proper treatment by a vet to prevent this

Once you have decided that you are prepared to make this commitment, make another commitment to go with it. Adopt your rabbits from a rescue. They deserve a new start in their lives and will have received the necessary treatment from a vet from which to make that new start.

Don’t get your bunnies for the lowest possible price - their lives are worth more than that. Ask yourself why they are being offered for free or very cheap in the first place. Because they are unwanted babies to be disposed of, to make money or just because they are unwanted and unloved. Any rabbits from irresponsible breeding will rapidly be replaced by more.

There are lots of excellent guides to all aspects of owning rabbits on this forum. Written by people with a wealth of experience of rabbits and their care. Many of these are much better than my words. The Rabbit Residence Rescue website, in particular, has some excellent guides available to download.

I wish you luck with this endeavour but suspect that it will be difficult to get the publications to accept it. It would potentially deter advertisers and any money that they bring.

May I respectfully offer the following for your consideration. I am sure you will get many more (and better) suggestions from others on this forum.

Advert title

I think that “RWA Guidelines” might cause people to just bypass it because they never look at “guidelines” in their lives.

Wording for advert
Rabbits are the third most popular pet in the UK (after cats and dogs) - and for good reasons. These beautiful, affectionate, intelligent and inquisitive creatures make excellent pets and companion animals. However, they are not the maintenance-free pets that many people are led to believe. They are totally dependent on their human owners and carers for the safety and quality of their lives. At the moment, there are over 33,000 unwanted rabbits in rescues because their owners either changed their minds about wanting them or no longer could (or would) care for them. This is through no fault of the rabbit - they can’t decide for themselves that they are “disposable” and that their life is no longer of any value to anyone. Owning a rabbit is a great privilege and can be a great delight. But they are also a great responsibility that must be considered carefully before they are bought. Owning a rabbit is a life-long commitment throughout the rabbit’s life. Its life is, quite literally, in its owners hands.

They need adequate housing - not a pokey hutch no bigger than a dustbin. They need the right food, space to exercise and play in safety and regular checks by a vet. They also need companionship. Rabbits are social creatures that need the company of other (neutered) rabbits - not solitary confinement imprisoned in a hutch at the bottom of the garden. None of these responsibilities come free of cost. Rabbits cost as much as a cat or dog to own and care for properly.

Although they always remain cute, rabbits do not remain the little bundles of fluff that humans find so appealing. Within months, they become hormonal ‘teenagers’ and fully capable of the one thing for which rabbits are rightly famous - producing more rabbits! They need proper treatment by a vet to prevent this

Once you have decided that you are prepared to make this commitment, make another commitment to go with it. Adopt your rabbits from a rescue. They deserve a new start in their lives and will have received the necessary treatment from a vet from which to make that new start.

Don’t get your bunnies for the lowest possible price - their lives are worth more than that. Ask yourself why they are being offered for free or very cheap in the first place. Because they are unwanted babies to be disposed of, to make money or just because they are unwanted and unloved. Any rabbits from irresponsible breeding will rapidly be replaced by more.

There are lots of excellent guides to all aspects of owning rabbits on this forum. Written by people with a wealth of experience of rabbits and their care. Many of these are much better than my words. The Rabbit Residence Rescue website, in particular, has some excellent guides available to download.

I wish you luck with this endeavour but suspect that it will be difficult to get the publications to accept it. It would potentially deter advertisers and any money that they bring.

:wave: Thats brilliant:thumb:, I only posted the links to the guidelines to help write something as a reference tool as Georgie was going to mention the RWA so I thought it important to use their facts/figures etc, not post the actual guidelines themselves I agree-people wouldn't bother reading them or they would have educated themselves anyway, good luck Georgie :) x

:wave: Thats brilliant:thumb:, I only posted the links to the guidelines to help write something as a reference tool as Georgie was going to mention the RWA so I thought it important to use their facts/figures etc, not post the actual guidelines themselves I agree-people wouldn't bother reading them or they would have educated themselves anyway, good luck Georgie :) x

I hope that you did not think I was criticising in any way - that was never my intention.:(

In my opinion, anything that introduces careful consideration of the facts before buying and reduces the irresponsible breeding and rabbit dumping must be a good thing.

Am loving this post!:D

Advert title

Wording for advert

Advert title

Wording for advert

You, my dear, are a genius and I think I quite love you now! ;):lol:

Do you mind if I post that word for word? I don't think anything else needs to be added and no way could I of worded it any better. :wave:

Right, I've made the advert! :wave: (Snouter, if you're not happy with me using your wording, please tell me and I'll take it down again! :wave:). I've changed my user name to 'bunnies4life' so as not to infringe on the RWA.

http://www.wightbay.com/XCClassifieds/CPViewItem.asp?ID=1855816

- I don't think I'm breaking any rules posting the link seeing as it's my own advert and I'm not selling anything! Appologies to admin if I'm wrong.

I wonder if we could get this thread re-written and stickied somewhere so anyone else who might like to post it on their local classifieds can do so?! What do you think? Waste of time or good idea??

Right, I've made the advert! :wave: (Snouter, if you're not happy with me using your wording, please tell me and I'll take it down again! :wave:). I've changed my user name to 'bunnies4life' so as not to infringe on the RWA.

http://www.wightbay.com/XCClassifieds/CPViewItem.asp?ID=1855816

- I don't think I'm breaking any rules posting the link seeing as it's my own advert and I'm not selling anything! Appologies to admin if I'm wrong.

I wonder if we could get this thread re-written and stickied somewhere so anyone else who might like to post it on their local classifieds can do so?! What do you think? Waste of time or good idea??

:wave:You are welcome to use the words in any way that you wish.:D

Via the link, I have taken a look at the advert. I note that it contains a mobile number. I hope that it is not your personal mobile number. You could be deluged with complaints from people who want to make money from rabbits and the snake food enthusiasts.:censored:

I have also noticed that there are other people on the forum posting about similiar things. Leaflets for rescues, simple guides for prospective rabbit owners, letters to Gumtree and Pre-loved, etc, etc.

The people on this forum are so knowledgeble and experienced about rabbits - much more so than me.

Perhaps a booklet entitled "Think Before You Buy - The Idiots Guide to Owning and Caring for Rabbits" would be a good idea? Then provide them to pet shops for placing next to all the pet products and animals. Might prevent a few impulse purchases?

Good luck with it all.

:wave:A massive thank you to you guys. I'm crying with relief & joy, over here that you've started to get the ball rolling.:D:D:D:D:D

Like you Georgie_f it's the hutch sizes that really stick in my craw. 50 years ago the NORM in rural Staffordshire was a 5'x3' hutch - mainly private (sleeping) compartment, with sheltered porch, & 5'x 10'-12' run attatched. They couldn't neuter in those days, so that was for 1 rabbit. All accommodation was home made.

I think it's excellent to start with the internet. It's widely used and importantly a free vehicle to get the message across. I'll get some help, & start a site up here.

I wonder whether we can get a link from your anti advert advert, to a good rabbit care site, there's good info on the RSPCA site.

Right folks. This is about changing attitudes in society, & it's like bringing down a castle wall in the middle ages. The 1st. time you hit the wall with the siege engine you just bounce off it, & wonder what went wrong. You don't give up. You keep on & on at it, & get more people to hammer away in different places, & eventually the wall will crack & fall down.

Please keep us updated about progress.

:wave:You are welcome to use the words in any way that you wish.:D

Via the link, I have taken a look at the advert. I note that it contains a mobile number. I hope that it is not your personal mobile number. You could be deluged with complaints from people who want to make money from rabbits and the snake food enthusiasts.:censored:

I have also noticed that there are other people on the forum posting about similiar things. Leaflets for rescues, simple guides for prospective rabbit owners, letters to Gumtree and Pre-loved, etc, etc.

The people on this forum are so knowledgeble and experienced about rabbits - much more so than me.

Perhaps a booklet entitled "Think Before You Buy - The Idiots Guide to Owning and Caring for Rabbits" would be a good idea? Then provide them to pet shops for placing next to all the pet products and animals. Might prevent a few impulse purchases?

Good luck with it all.

Ahh, I 'm glad you don't mind! I was feeling a bit cheeky using it word for word. I added a whole sentence though! :roll::lol:

The phone number isn't mine - I have registered my old home phone number which has been disconnected and then used the sites privacy number option - this routes calls through the number on the site and is something stupid like £3 a minute. It's very unlikely anyone would try to call and if they did, they'd be calling a number that doesn't exist anymore. ;)

I like the leaflet idea! I might get my thinking cap on and see what I can come up with on Dad's PC. I'm not sure how many petshops would be willing to stock them but I guess I could put another advert up saying to email an address for a free info pack or something along those lines?!

:wave:A massive thank you to you guys. I'm crying with relief & joy, over here that you've started to get the ball rolling.:D:D:D:D:D

Like you Georgie_f it's the hutch sizes that really stick in my craw. 50 years ago the NORM in rural Staffordshire was a 5'x3' hutch - mainly private (sleeping) compartment, with sheltered porch, & 5'x 10'-12' run attatched. They couldn't neuter in those days, so that was for 1 rabbit. All accommodation was home made.

I think it's excellent to start with the internet. It's widely used and importantly a free vehicle to get the message across. I'll get some help, & start a site up here.

I wonder whether we can get a link from your anti advert advert, to a good rabbit care site, there's good info on the RSPCA site.

Right folks. This is about changing attitudes in society, & it's like bringing down a castle wall in the middle ages. The 1st. time you hit the wall with the siege engine you just bounce off it, & wonder what went wrong. You don't give up. You keep on & on at it, & get more people to hammer away in different places, & eventually the wall will crack & fall down.

Please keep us updated about progress.

If you want any help starting up a site give me a shout! :wave: I can't quite believe no one seems to have put up adverts like these before if I'm honest. It seems like quite a simple idea (if it came out of my head, it must be! :lol:).

If it would just be possible to get a few more members on board that will post on their local classifieds, it might just make a difference. :D

Ahh, I 'm glad you don't mind! I was feeling a bit cheeky using it word for word. I added a whole sentence though! :roll::lol:

I like the leaflet idea! I might get my thinking cap on and see what I can come up with on Dad's PC. I'm not sure how many petshops would be willing to stock them but I guess I could put another advert up saying to email an address for a free info pack or something along those lines?!

No problem - you're welcome. Someone much brighter than me once said, "Plagiarism is the greatest compliment."

A free info pack is a nice idea but would cost the sender money to send it out. Why not just provide a link to a PDF document? If they could send in an email to request a pack, they probably also have an internet connection with a browser.

There are loads of websites already available for people. The Rabbit Residence one is particularly good.

Last edited:
I hope that you did not think I was criticising in any way - that was never my intention.:(
In my opinion, anything that introduces careful consideration of the facts before buying and reduces the irresponsible breeding and rabbit dumping must be a good thing.

:wave: Not at all, you have done really well with your post and have raised a really good point aswell about Pet Shops and maybe sending emails to some of the well known pet stores that are selling rabbits and other small animals. What do we think of that? Just putting an idea out on the table that was mentioned in a discussion, also wonder it's worth asking people to send to their vets to be put up on a notice board? I am happy to help with anything as I said before but, I think it is good to have a central point like this thread to co-ordinate and record who is being sent what, responses and where things are being printed to avoid duplication etc:)

Forgive me if you have included it and I've missed it but I think Life Expectancy is a point that needs to be got across - people don't seem to realise that a bun can live for 10 or 12 years (perhaps more).

Forgive me if you have included it and I've missed it but I think Life Expectancy is a point that needs to be got across - people don't seem to realise that a bun can live for 10 or 12 years (perhaps more).

You are quite right, I should have included it when I made my original post. I just referred to the lifetime of a rabbit but did not say how long it actually is.

You are quite right, I should have included it when I made my original post. I just referred to the lifetime of a rabbit but did not say how long it actually is.

I think it would be a good idea as I don't think people always consider this. I have had rabbit owners ask me how long they live :roll: you would think they'd find out first! Also know a lady who runs a small rescue, she showed me a bun she'd taken in because the owners said "He'd lived too long"!!!!!:evil:

......Also know a lady who runs a small rescue, she showed me a bun she'd taken in because the owners said "He'd lived too long"!!!!!:evil:

A new excuse - "He didn't die quickly enough and at a convenient time." :shock:

A variant of the "It's only a rabbit" theme.:(

What do they expect, a living creature with an expiry date?:censored:

I think that Georgie_f might wish to modify the wording re age if it's the advert that has already been submitted that is the concern. In response to the initial request, I prepared some text for consideration and parts of it were used for the submission to a free-ads paper in the Isle of Wight.

I do not want to interfere with other peoples' efforts and keep altering someone else's text. If they have been submitted to a newspaper they will be password protected and only the person who originally submitted them will be able to make changes. I was very impressed with Georgie_f's advert - it had a very appealing bunny picture to attract attention.

We will end up with multiple different copies all over the place - which might be all right. I am delighted if anyone wants to take what I submitted in this thread and then, if it's considered suitable, accurate and good enough, use it for their own purposes with whatever modifications they need.

Last edited:
I think that slightly different wording but with the same FACTUAL information may be good. It would show that a lot of individual people are concerned, rather than 1 person who had blitzed the nation. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some opposition from those who make a profit if we startto be successful. What do you think?

Back