• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I try to bond Beau again?

Should I attempt to bond Beau again?

• No, not if it keeps making him ill

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Maybe, if you can find the right girly bun

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Yes, it's cruel to have a single bunny

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
At the moment Beau is a single house bunny. We tried to bond him in the middle of last year, and it didn't work out, she pulled lots of his fur out, he screamed (it was awful) and he went into stasis. We then had two foster buns here for 6 weeks, during that time he got pneumonia (apparently, though he got over it very quickly) and again went into stasis.

We then tried to bond him again at the end of last year. To start with the bond went well, lasted about 2 weeks I think, although he did have to be treated for stasis during that time, and it was the worst bout he's had to date. But then girly bun got frustrated, because Beau just doesn't understand bun language. He doesn't get that he's supposed to groom her! So she started chasing and humping him, then they started fighting, and it got to the point they couldn't be together for longer than a few seconds

So my question is, would you try and bond him again, probably with a young submissive, maybe really shy girl. I feel so bad that he's alone while we're at work (when OH is working that is!) and that he has no one to play with but every time we have girly buns in the house he gets stasis, and the last time was the worst.

Am going to add a poll, wait a minute...

ETA: would probably be one of these girlies http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk/categories/3/rabbits/4

Last edited:
im the first to vote whoooooop.

stasis is so awful i would never want to put a bunny in a situation where stasis could happen but loneliness is pretty pants to.. so i think if the rescue knows what type of girly Beau could suit i would wait until they found her rather than try to force a bond with girlies that could make him ill

so im in the middle with a maybe... i cant work out which is the lesser of two evils having a stasis bun myself

im the first to vote whoooooop.

stasis is so awful i would never want to put a bunny in a situation where stasis could happen but loneliness is pretty pants to.. so i think if the rescue knows what type of girly Beau could suit i would wait until they found her rather than try to force a bond with girlies that could make him ill

so im in the middle with a maybe... i cant work out which is the lesser of two evils having a stasis bun myself

Yeah I'm in the middle too, so you're no help :roll: lol!

OH and my mum say that Beau is obviously happy on his own and he gets poorly when we bond cos he doesn't want to be bonded :roll:

your mom could be right though, if hes got a delicate gut then the stress of a gal bunny could be too much for him.
Alvin is 100% a bunnies bunny so i can never leave him single, would love to meet a bunny that loves humans more :love::love::love:

Who said it was cruel? Damn I wish I'd put one of those thingies on so I knew who voted what!

Someone always will. I was told I should give all 3 of mine up to a rescue because I cant get them a friend at the minute.

Just ignor them, you are doing what is best for Beau.

I voted the middle one, I would speak to a rescue and see if they could try him with a few different females to find one that suits.

Someone always will. I was told I should give all 3 of mine up to a rescue because I cant get them a friend at the minute.

Just ignor them, you are doing what is best for Beau.

I voted the middle one, I would speak to a rescue and see if they could try him with a few different females to find one that suits.

Oh no, I don't mind at all, I want honest answers, I just would like to know more about their opinion.

Hmmm this is a toughy, I'm undecided how to vote. Some bunnys are totally happy to be on their own, with adequate stimulation from you. Buns mostly sleep during the day anyway so as long as he's getting LOADS of love and quality floor play time with you and OH when you are in he's probably ok.
I lost a bun to stasis 2 months ago so although I do prefer to see a bunny bonded with another, in this case, as long as he's not obviously depressed and lonely, I don't think I'd risk it again as the process is obviously very stressful for him. I'm sure you can give him all of the love and fun that he needs
xxx

It's never an easy decision and, ultimately, you know Beau best and whatever you decide will be in his best interests - it's not just a case of finding him the right match, but you also have the stasis problems added on top.

What kind of temperament did the 2 girls he's been tried with have? It sounds like they were possibly more dominant than Beau do you think? Hence the problems when Beau refused to groom etc.

Maybe you're right and he would be better with a more submissive female. Bubbles is quite timid and is perfectly happy to be bottom of the pecking order - if Alfie wants to be groomed, she'll do it. If she asks to be groomed Alfie will either return the favour (if he can be bothered :roll::lol:) or she'll hop off and do something else.

I would definitely have a word with Caroline and see what she thinks and whether a less dominant girl would be a better match. I'm not sure how old the girls are in the link you posted, but I would be wary of pairing him with quite a young girl, just in case she's submissive now but decides a bit later on in the relationship that actually she would quite like to wear the trousers.

Who said it was cruel? Damn I wish I'd put one of those thingies on so I knew who voted what!

It wasn't me, but to give the person the benefit of the doubt, maybe they don't actually think it's 'cruel' but simply mean that it's preferable to have bonded bunnies.

I voted for the second option, although if he was my bunny, I would either go for the first or the second option. (I'm a bit of a coward.:oops:)
It will be best if you manage to get him bonded with the right bunny, but I wouldn't blame you if you decided to keep him single.

I think you've just got to find that perfect rabbit.
Maybe look for a special rabbit that's a bit older, or really nervous.

We have Magic, who is very shy and slightly timid, and would love to have some company from another bunny.:)

I think I would try again, there must be quite a shy girl out there. Actually, Delilah would be suitable for you, she isnt shy but she isnt that bothered on the grooming front. So there must be more rabbits that arent completely bothered and wont get frustrated.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I think with the right girly it will work out fine.
Maybe just try a really chilled out girl that wont pyt too much pressure on Beau. He sounds like he cant deal with alot of female pressure. Bless him.
Hope allgoes well for him in the future though.

Those young girlie buns are lovely, I put to give it a go, a younger girlie might work.:)

I would definitely have a word with Caroline and see what she thinks and whether a less dominant girl would be a better match. I'm not sure how old the girls are in the link you posted, but I would be wary of pairing him with quite a young girl, just in case she's submissive now but decides a bit later on in the relationship that actually she would quite like to wear the trousers.

Those baby girly buns were actually Caroline's suggestion :oops:

Those baby girly buns were actually Caroline's suggestion :oops:

by the time they are spayed she should know them inside out and maybe one of them will be submissive enough for your Beau. :love::love:

if not its no great loss, hes a very happy lad and hasnt shown any signs of being lonely so why break whats not broken :)

ive been thinking about his poor little tummy all day and im edging more towards the dont do it unless your rescue lady is absolutely certain the girl she has in mind is submissive enough not to upset your boy.

Its a difficult situation, as some bunnies just wont bond, my Gracie for example, just hates other buns, but loves human company.

I did vote if you find the right girl, but at the same time, if you wont be able to find "the right girl" without putting him through undue stress then i would maybe say no.

There now, that wasn't very helpful was it :oops:

Back