• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Skinny Bunn

Maddy-Hazel

Warren Scout
Hey I haven't posted in a while, multiple computer issues.
Now that I'm back I was wondering if anyone could help me with Hazel. He seems a little skinny lately. I can feel the bones around his back half a little more easily that I think I should. There is a vet's across the street but we can't afford to get his check up till the end of the month. He seems to be eating normally and pooping normally. He's become disinterested in his pellets but he still loves his hay and greens. He's a lion head, and the lady who gave him to me told me we would get to be 10 lbs, but he feels a little light.
Also he hasn't been getting out as much as I would like lately. He's getting to that age, and he gets grumpy and sometimes wees outside his box. Hopefully we can get him in for the snip soon.

personaly i would view weight lose and sudden changes in food preferances as an indicator of dental problem. he really should see a vet asap as if it is a problem with his teeth it can get very bad, very quickly.
as for the behaviour problems boredom and frustration are likely to increase his level of aggression so confining him for his 'bad' behaviour will be counter productive. if your worried about accidents a bottle of biological stain remover would be a good investment or let him run in room with old carpet where a stain or two wont matter, or on lino or lamenate.

Thank you for the advice, I'm going o go over the road today to see how much it costs, see if my parents can help. Though I should clarify, he has always been skinny, I though it might have been from a poor diet at the terrible place I got him from. He's just never really put that weight back on.
He was out all day yesterday and he didn't wee outside his box, and was quite happy to eat apple spaghetti (I have the rotating peeler thing and I use it on the apples and it makes sort of a shoe string out of it.)

Back