• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur

JenniHC

Young Bun
I am a little bit worried :( as I keep finding little chunks of fur around the hutch and run, as if its been pulled out... mainly Tillys (who is the more dominant of the two) - yet I have never seen them fight (excepting a bit of mounting which never actually turns into a fight, just chasing), they are always snuggled up together, so surely they can't be biting each other?

Anyone had this, or know what it might be? Not sure if its normal for them to pull their own fur out, or does it fall out like that?

Hoping someone has an idea, as I never seem to catch them actually doing it!

x

It could well be they're moulting, getting their spring coats in! It's the time for it. I suppose if they're mounting a lot it could be because they're gripping on to each other with their teeth, so pulling some out that way. Are they spayed? If not this is the next step. If they are I'd just keep a close eye and I'm sure it will be fine.

They can pull their own fur out when nesting (real or imagined pregnancy), but it sounds more like they are having some little scraps. When our two had their fights there were lots and lots of tuffs of fur all over the place, though strangely the rabbits didn't look to have any fur missing.

I think fur pulling is regarded as ok as long as it doesn't become proper locked on fighting.

Guilty Looks

When my rabbits started fighting I could never seem to catch it either. When I was in the room they would either be laying next to eachother or on opposite ends. Hair would be everywhere though, mostly from my fluffier bun, and I could tell something was off because they had very guilty looks. I think they knew what they were doing was wrong.
I finally caught them after their 4th fight. I just yelled NO! and I grabbed the aggressor by his neck skin and flicked his feet telling him no. He was scared cause he didnt know I was in the room and they stopped after that.

Back