• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eye problems after GA

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
Ginger and Pickles are home, after having their dentals this morning. They've both eaten a little recovery, and used their litterays, but I'm worried about Pickle. He can't open his eyes properly. I asked Katie about it and she said sometimes it happens with GA's, and that it will 'probably' get better! Does anyone have any experience of this? It's never happened before. I'm so afraid it's a sign that the GA's are begining to get the better of him. :cry::cry::cry:

Yes, it can happen if the Vet did not use a protective eye-gel on the Buns. When unconscious (under GA) Buns dont blink so as their eyes are open all the time they can become irritated and dry.
Pickle may need an abx eye treatment for a few days. Some Hypromellose Eye Drops (artificial tears) would be soothing too.

This happened to Stew after her spay,it looked a bit swollen and she kept it shut, it cleared up after a day or so though,i was worried when i saw it though!

Yes, it can happen if the Vet did not use a protective eye-gel on the Buns. When unconscious (under GA) Buns dont blink so as their eyes are open all the time they can become irritated and dry.
Pickle may need an abx eye treatment for a few days. Some Hypromellose Eye Drops (artificial tears) would be soothing too.

Hmph, I'm a bit peed off with that! My vet's meant to be the best animal hospital in Cornwall!! I'll talk to my sis about it.

It will totally recover then? I was having horrible visions of the little guy squinting for life!

Aww, Stew was better in a day - she didn't even need drops when the vet had a look, i'm sure he will be fine...some drops may soothe it tho :)

When I first took in my persian cat, she had to have a GA to be shaved from being neglected. She developed an eye infection after and I took her back to the vet and explained she came home with an infection from there. They gave me eye drops and didn't charge me a penny for the consultaion or eye drops.

Gotta say I'm so relieved! *Heaves huge sigh* I thought it was an effect the GA was having on his system. I can't believe it's every single month now - so stressful!

Gotta say I'm so relieved! *Heaves huge sigh* I thought it was an effect the GA was having on his system. I can't believe it's every single month now - so stressful!

Oh Bless you and the little guy!
I paniced like mad when i saw Stew's, Belle was done the same day and she was fine...Stew looked like she had done 10 rounds with tyson :shock:
I was convinced i had been punished for spaying her with her existing problems :(
Then she was just fine soon enough. Have you contacted the vet? they may give you some drops or not as in Stew's case cos by the time i got her there (the next day) it was already lots better :)

It's so random, but Pickles' eye problem seems to have come back! :? Its been a week since the GA now! Will more eyedrops help?

Back