• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

unsuccesful bonding...disappointed

lauramc888

Warren Scout
I took my bun through to Fife Rabbit Rescue this afternoon, and after an hour or so of Kareen trying to bond Pepper with the male bunny Gus, Pepper just want having it. Stamping, going for him, bouncing over him.....so decided not to take him home incase shes even worse in her own territory. Now Im in 2 minds, shes a feisty, dominant independent bunny....dont know whether to just leave her on her own. Its an hours drive away to the rescue so it takes up a lot of time if shes doesnt bond. Really bumped because Gus was gorgeous and deserves a forever home :(

Damn my dominant bunny Pep :roll:

As with humans there is always someone out there for your bun, If one partner doesnt work out it is always worth giving it a try with another bun.

Would the rescue let you leave your bun with them so that they can try your bun with a few partners ?

As with humans there is always someone out there for your bun, If one partner doesnt work out it is always worth giving it a try with another bun.

Would the rescue let you leave your bun with them so that they can try your bun with a few partners ?

I think that the woman who runs it is rushed off her feet as it is, its in her back garden she has it so dont think so. She had said that hopefully at some point shell have a couple of single males there at the same time so I could take Pepper then and have a couple of tries. Its a bummer though, Gus was so cute!

I think that the woman who runs it is rushed off her feet as it is, its in her back garden she has it so dont think so. She had said that hopefully at some point shell have a couple of single males there at the same time so I could take Pepper then and have a couple of tries. Its a bummer though, Gus was so cute!

Isn't there any rescues on here that could help you at all? I wouldn't rule it out either, I think if she is travelling to the rescue that is added stress - personally I would have got Gus let him have a couple of nights to settle and then put them in a neutral area (puppy pen) at your place. As long as the bonding area is neutral - she will be less stressed.

Hi,

I just wanted to say that you shouldnt be disheartened by this. I had the same thing happen to me last year with my rabbit Audrey. She hated every boy bun in sight until she met Dougal.

I took her to the rescue and left her there for the woman to bond her at her own pace. It took a few tries with a few other rabbits but after a few days I got the call to go and pick up Audrey and her new husbun.

They definitely pick their own partners!!

i was upset when alvins first bond failed. but it wasnt all bad. Lou then knew his personalilty for herself and knew when the perfect ladybun came along... without that first failed bond we would never have gotten the pleasure of Pearl.

She will fall inlove soon :love::love::love: and you have the added bonus of not getting attached to the bunny your angel said no too :)

Isn't there any rescues on here that could help you at all? I wouldn't rule it out either, I think if she is travelling to the rescue that is added stress - personally I would have got Gus let him have a couple of nights to settle and then put them in a neutral area (puppy pen) at your place. As long as the bonding area is neutral - she will be less stressed.

to be honest, I was a bit wary of bringing him home. I dont have a pen at the moment, and the only place I could put them is in the kitchen which Pepper stays in sometimes, the hut where shes lives, or the back garden where she roams, so its all been Peppyfied lol. I was scared that when I did get him home theyd continue to fight...and also that Id get attatched to the gorgeous boy and be so upset to have to give him back.

I dont know if any rescues here could help with bonding, I think Kareen seems to be the nearest and thats over an hour away unfortunately.

Last edited:
Hi Laura, i will reply to your pm later on :)

Its such a shame about Gus, he is such a great wee boy. Dont give up though, Kareen is excelent at bonding, and i think your right, just let Pepper decide who she wants, when there are a few potential males there. Its often easier to try a few to find the match, a nice calm relaxed bun will come along and fall for Pepper ;).

It took me a few attempts to get my Taffy bonded again (she bonded to Riley from N.Ireland and is very happy now, but had rejected a few boys) and Holly, who rejected Gus when he was here :(. But Holly (who is highly strung) is now happily bonded with laid back boy Frodo.

I have some run panels you can use if you need them? I tend to keep buns i am bonding in a smaller space until they are used to each other. It gives the pen time to get cleaned and aired so it becomes neutral again.

It took me a few attempts to get my Taffy bonded again (she bonded to Riley from N.Ireland and is very happy now, but had rejected a few boys) and Holly, who rejected Gus when he was here :(. But Holly (who is highly strung) is now happily bonded with laid back boy Frodo.

I have some run panels you can use if you need them? I tend to keep buns i am bonding in a smaller space until they are used to each other. It gives the pen time to get cleaned and aired so it becomes neutral again.

awww thats really kind to offer to borrow them from you, thank you. May take you up on that if we ever get another bunny. How long do you leave them there though to let the pen get aired? You sound like a bunny expert, I should pap Pepper off to you :D

awww thats really kind to offer to borrow them from you, thank you. May take you up on that if we ever get another bunny. How long do you leave them there though to let the pen get aired? You sound like a bunny expert, I should pap Pepper off to you :D

Your more than welcome to it, im not using them just now, so if you need them you can have them as long as you need.

:lol: im no expert, but thank you for the lovely compliment. I would be happy to help you though. Bonding is quite a horrid thing, especially if you have not done much of it.
I tend to follow in Kareen's speed bonding footsteps. Pop them together at the rescue, if the initial meeting goes well, take them home in the same carrier. The stress of the journey usually helps the bond. I then put them in a tiny pen (literally 4 pen panels) for a few hours, so they cant avoid each other. Once they are a bit more comfortable with each other, i make the pen larger and leave them together to get on with it. I usually leave them overnight in the pen where i can supervise.

Just depends on the bunnies though. I remember when i introduced Summer and Giles, they just fell instantly in love, so they went straight to the shed together.

I tend to find if a bond shows aggression from the start it probably wont work. My failed bondings included Taffy with a lovely boy called Echo, she just grunted and lunged at him. But when she met Riley she just took to him. Same with Holly, Gus went for her and she got upset. I put her with Frodo and, though it was not love at first sight, they were comfortable enough together. I think the first impression is the way to know if it will work.

As for how long to leave Pepper's hutch. If you dont have a different space to keep them in and intend moving Pepper and her new friend straight to the hutch, i would clean it before i left for the rescue. But ideally at least a day with everything really well cleaned.

Your more than welcome to it, im not using them just now, so if you need them you can have them as long as you need.

:lol: im no expert, but thank you for the lovely compliment. I would be happy to help you though. Bonding is quite a horrid thing, especially if you have not done much of it.
I tend to follow in Kareen's speed bonding footsteps. Pop them together at the rescue, if the initial meeting goes well, take them home in the same carrier. The stress of the journey usually helps the bond. I then put them in a tiny pen (literally 4 pen panels) for a few hours, so they cant avoid each other. Once they are a bit more comfortable with each other, i make the pen larger and leave them together to get on with it. I usually leave them overnight in the pen where i can supervise.

Just depends on the bunnies though. I remember when i introduced Summer and Giles, they just fell instantly in love, so they went straight to the shed together.

I tend to find if a bond shows aggression from the start it probably wont work. My failed bondings included Taffy with a lovely boy called Echo, she just grunted and lunged at him. But when she met Riley she just took to him. Same with Holly, Gus went for her and she got upset. I put her with Frodo and, though it was not love at first sight, they were comfortable enough together. I think the first impression is the way to know if it will work.

As for how long to leave Pepper's hutch. If you dont have a different space to keep them in and intend moving Pepper and her new friend straight to the hutch, i would clean it before i left for the rescue. But ideally at least a day with everything really well cleaned.

thanks Sharon, that is really nice of you to offer them. I'll keep that in mind if I do manage to get her a man! I had an email from Collielover saying she has a few bunnies she is fostering and she would help with bonding, so just waiting to hear back from her., that would be ideal since shes from Falkirk too!

I looked at them photos of Gus again.....he was so cute. Damn Pepper not taking to him :D

Back