• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how long after a spay before you bond

bambi2906

Warren Scout
:wave:
my female was spayed on the 11th of feb she develop a infection on her spay wounds and was finally given the all clear by the vets today :D.
in theory i wanted her to be bonded with my male this weekend however had to cancel that due to her only being given the all clear so how long would you leave it before you took her to a rescue to be bonded ??? (the vet said a week but the rescue said two and i dont want to do it too early as she might not have healed)
thanks in advance

6 to 8 weeks, its spring hardest time to bond even for the neutered kind they still go bit loopy :lol:

I would leave it at least another couple of weeks before bonding her to a neutered male, the reason being she has had an infection and she will have been a bit under the weather. I would only suggest doing anything stressful to a bunny leaving a minimum of 2 weeks between anything whether neutering, vaccinations or after any health issue.

Bonding is stressful and therefore can compromise their immune system.

I. I would only suggest doing anything stressful to a bunny leaving a minimum of 2 weeks between anything whether neutering, vaccinations or after any health issue. QUOTE]

thats interesting because when she went for her final check up i asked to get her myxi done. thats when the vet told me she had an infection and told me to scrub it. then she gave her her myxi and told me to come back in two weeks for vhd or early if the wound swells. i wish the vet hadnt gave her her jab now.
surely they should have told me not to have it done till she was recovered from the spay wound :?

I. I would only suggest doing anything stressful to a bunny leaving a minimum of 2 weeks between anything whether neutering, vaccinations or after any health issue. QUOTE]

thats interesting because when she went for her final check up i asked to get her myxi done. thats when the vet told me she had an infection and told me to scrub it. then she gave her her myxi and told me to come back in two weeks for vhd or early if the wound swells. i wish the vet hadnt gave her her jab now.
surely they should have told me not to have it done till she was recovered from the spay wound :?

There is no written down rules. At ARC we always try and do everyhing a minimum of 2 weeks apart so that we do not stress the immune system. This way we have less problems with any stress related illness including snuffles and stasis.

oh right, i thought it was a bit weird them saying she had an infection and then giving her an injection but i thought well they are the vets so they know what they are doing.
i wish i hadnt got it done but i will have to get the vhd done tuesday and will then leave her 2 weeks and then make sure her wounds okay and thats shes calmer in herself and then attempt to bond her :D

Back