• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

preparing for new rabbits

briony_y

Young Bun
Hi.

I am hoping to get two rabbits in the near future. I know min requirements for a hutch is 6ft by 2ft and there is a suggestion for an attached run, however this is my dilemma.

I will be getting a 6ft by 2ft hutch for 2 rabbits with two levels (therefore double the required size however, the attached run is possibly an issue.

The only reason it is an issue is that I have adequate space outside to accomodate a 6ft by 2ft hutch with attached run but if buns need to be inside a shed or house for winter there is no room for the attached run.

I have two options, firstly if they are ok outside I can provide hutch covers, those snuggle safe heat pads and tons of hay and straw?

If they are not ok outside with those requirements is it ok to have them in a shed (with windows) in a 6ft by 2 ft min double hutch and then bring them into the house of a evening for about 4 hours to play in a large playpen - in summer they could then have same time in a run in the garden?????

Thanks

Hiya :) The hutch size is fab, our minimum hutch requirements are 6x2x2 with either attached or seperate run :) So not all rescues will ask for the run to be attached ;) Also the buns will be fine outside in the winter :) My buns have been out all this winter in their hutches with snugglesafe heatpads and old carpet offcuts/taupaulins over the hutches :)

Sounds like your going to be a fab bunny mummy xXx

Hiya :) The hutch size is fab, our minimum hutch requirements are 6x2x2 with either attached or seperate run :) So not all rescues will ask for the run to be attached ;) Also the buns will be fine outside in the winter :) My buns have been out all this winter in their hutches with snugglesafe heatpads and old carpet offcuts/taupaulins over the hutches :)

Sounds like your going to be a fab bunny mummy xXx

Thanx that is such a relief I am already a devoted piggy mummy as I have four but I really want some bunnys to add to my family.

The guineas are all inside pets but sadly I have no more room inside for buns and I really want some, I was worried about them being cold. I will get the double hutch then and I already have a huge outdoor collaspable separate run I have previously used for my guineas so that will work great, I bought them a new smaller one recently as the big one frightened them!

I also have a massive inside pen which I no longer need as i have C&C grids for there indoor runs now! All I need then is the hutch, hutch cover, heat pads and some rabbit food (i have new bottles and bowls as I am terrible when I see a bargain :)) ) I buy hay by the bale so have tons and I have already bought a bale of straw ready!

I use megazorb bedding for my guineas and I presume that is ok for rabbits?

Thanx that is such a relief I am already a devoted piggy mummy as I have four but I really want some bunnys to add to my family.

The guineas are all inside pets but sadly I have no more room inside for buns and I really want some, I was worried about them being cold. I will get the double hutch then and I already have a huge outdoor collaspable separate run I have previously used for my guineas so that will work great, I bought them a new smaller one recently as the big one frightened them!

I also have a massive inside pen which I no longer need as i have C&C grids for there indoor runs now! All I need then is the hutch, hutch cover, heat pads and some rabbit food (i have new bottles and bowls as I am terrible when I see a bargain :)) ) I buy hay by the bale so have tons and I have already bought a bale of straw ready!

I use megazorb bedding for my guineas and I presume that is ok for rabbits?

Yeah megazorb is great,there is an ad on preloved for two rex rabbits free to good home with hutch:DIts in warrington!

I have two options, firstly if they are ok outside I can provide hutch covers, those snuggle safe heat pads and tons of hay and straw?

If they are not ok outside with those requirements is it ok to have them in a shed (with windows) in a 6ft by 2 ft min double hutch and then bring them into the house of a evening for about 4 hours to play in a large playpen - in summer they could then have same time in a run in the garden?????

Thanks

Your situation sounds the same as mine! My bunnies are outside, and always have been, as I have greyhounds indoors, which just wouldn't work for me. They have tons of straw and hay, and they don't seem to feel the cold. They do have a hutch cover with blankets underneath right now.

Mine have a 6ft double hutch, and they get out in a seperate run in the garden for at least 4 hours each day, but usually about 8 hours.. They aren't keen on the rain, I need to find a run cover.

Some would say I shouldn't have rabbits because they don't have an attached run, however they are both happy healthy bunnies, and the truth is, they lead a much better life than they used to (in the previous home), and the majority of bunnies in the UK.

Thanks - thats what I think. I can give them a much better home than a lot of people would, I was shocked when I started shoping round for a hutch as my pigs live indoors I have never bought one. Some of them are too small for for guineas and they advertise them as being suitable for rabbits ????

My buns will get to come inside and run around in a play pen which some people wouldn;t allow they'd just be stuck in a tiny hutch in winter, they will get spoilt rotten with millons of toys (just like my guineas) I love keeping a stash of toys and changing them on cleanout day as they get so excited about the "new" toy when really it's only been a week or so since they saw it last :))

They will get veg, pellets and enough hay! what more could they want, excercise, hay, veg, pellets, love and interaction (not to mention cuddles) :)

Thanks - thats what I think. I can give them a much better home than a lot of people would, I was shocked when I started shoping round for a hutch as my pigs live indoors I have never bought one. Some of them are too small for for guineas and they advertise them as being suitable for rabbits ????

My buns will get to come inside and run around in a play pen which some people wouldn;t allow they'd just be stuck in a tiny hutch in winter, they will get spoilt rotten with millons of toys (just like my guineas) I love keeping a stash of toys and changing them on cleanout day as they get so excited about the "new" toy when really it's only been a week or so since they saw it last :))

They will get veg, pellets and enough hay! what more could they want, excercise, hay, veg, pellets, love and interaction (not to mention cuddles) :)

:wave: Hi I think they will be lucky bunnies, I would be careful about bringing them in during the winter months to run around though, they will have winter coats so could easily overheat, you would have to try and really cool down the room they would be coming into otherwise the shock of sudden heat and then sudden cold again could be harmful I think. I think thats a lot of the motivation for sheds/kennels/house bunnies that because of the awful weather in winter people find it easier to exercise them and actually sit with them etc in these set-up's. You have to adapt it how you are able to in the end, after a winter outside I suspect you may go down the shed route though:lol:

Thanx. Are they ok in runs outside in winter then?? Could I put them in an outside run for a couple of hours in the am before work (I leave about 9.30 so would be 7.30-9.30) then again when I get home (6.30-8.30) ? Would it be too cold for them to be out at these times???

Thanx. Are they ok in runs outside in winter then?? Could I put them in an outside run for a couple of hours in the am before work (I leave about 9.30 so would be 7.30-9.30) then again when I get home (6.30-8.30) ? Would it be too cold for them to be out at these times???

:wave: It depends on the weather and the run really I think Briony, if it's a covered run or at least at one end and therefore quite dry and they have an area to pop into for coverage aswell then it would be fine, if it were completely open and raining or snowing, maybe not such a good idea, our climate and predators like foxes really dictate the need for good accomodation for our little furry friends otherwise come the winter they end up just sitting around and not exercising much I think, I have a shed and find it really handy to have in terms of sitting with my outdoor doe and stroking her, having said that she is on her own atm - yours will have each other for company so maybe not so much of a prob for you :)

Definately go with the hutch and permanently attached run, they can then make their own minds up whether they want to be inside or out!

Good luck!

Back