• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Benny and Lola to be housebuns - advice please!

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
I've had it!! I miss my babies!! They're comin in the house ....... eventually....

Just so happens I am being given a gift of money soon and it should be enough to build a small conservatory. It will be totally in the shade and I thought it might be nice for Benny and Lola Rabbit to have as their rabbit room.

1. Should I wait until the summer when they don't have a winter coat to bring them inside?
2. In the summer would it be ok to leave them outside all day in their existing condo and bring them in at night.
3. When you have housebunnies and they don't have a winter coat, is it ok to let them outside to play in the cold and frost and then let them come back in to live in the house?

Sorry for Spanish inquest but I don't want to get this wrong. They are already perfectly litter trained. :D

Lol am by no means an expert but...... when we adopted Jack he was living as an outdoor bun'. We moved him into the house and tbh he's shown no sign whatsoever of any problems adjusting. In fact; he's a total radiator hog! :lol:

His favourite place is to lie on the Vet Bed next to the radiator flopped out. I do plan to move him outdoors again at some point (when he's got a wifebun') but I think he will miss the radiators! ;)

As to your second question - yes I should think that would be fine.

Third question - there is much debate about this. Many people do this and think it's fine and their rabbits have shown no signs of problems. *However* lots of other people, including well-established rescues feel that the risk of moving rabbits from the warmth to the winter cold is just that - a risk health-wise. Personally; it's not a risk I've taken and until it's warmer Jack won't be going outdoors at all. But lots of other people are happy to do it.

There have been lots of posts on the subject - shall see if I can find one for you to look at and think about!

I love your plan - I'd love to do the same! But funds won't allow it unfortunately. x But yay for you! Go for it! :love:

Aww thanks. Looking forward to it! They're out there now all soft and cuddly and I can't see em!!! Maybe if I kept the conservatory cool in the winter - turn heat off in that room, they could go out on good days. They looooooove outside - that's where they binkey!! :p

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. Mum and dad's conservatory was never warm in winter unless we had the oil filled heater thing on though we kept a very small oil filled heater on permanently to take the worst of the 'chill' off if I went in there for any length of time I had to put the bigger heater on for it to be bearable so that sounds about right. xx :D xx

Ruth,you are finally going for it!Yiphee!I would say dont bring them in & out in the winter,but will be ok in the summer.:D

Back