• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First litter advice.

cally73

Young Bun
Hi after my locum vet wrongly sexed my bunny I now have a pregnant female confirmed by my normal vet today. So obviously they are no longer together he was castrated on Monday. Any advice would be much appreciated, regarding housing, nesting, diet etc. I am now worrying about her killing the litter. Is this likely? Thanks

you never know with bunnies she may not kill them. she will build a nest up for them. try not to change any thing around this for nearly two weeks. careful when handling them she may not like it. I only have experience from two weeks onwards as i fostered a litter for the rescue centre. I handled the babies everyday made sure they got loads of attention. Just check their bums daily if they get a bit mucky a bit probiotic in the water helped. plenty and plenty of food. They also poo alot so be warned. hope it all works out well. these things happen and at least you've sorted it out now. best of luck. looking forward to piccies.

Brindle my foster bun had an unexpected litter recently. I mostly left the nest alone but when I did the odd check to see if all was well I wore those cheap carrier bag type plastic gloves to do so. Touched mummy and her litter tray first before doing so to make sure I did not contaminate the nest or babies with my smell.

I did not handle babies until they startd to scramble out of the nest for them selves.

Lots of extra food for mum and plenty of fresh hay and water, Brindle drank gallons.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Rabswood

Back