• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please about getting another bun!

Sugarbunny

Warren Scout
Has anyone ever bonded two males that are not brothers and are not babies? Is it possible that a pair of older males can be kept together happily (if both are neutered)? I really need to know as I have seen a bun in a garden centre near me who I would like to take on, but can really only do if he can live with my single male.
:D
My boy, Barley, is very good natured and I would love him to have a friend... I tried to bond him with my single female, Angel, but she badly attacked him, so I had to forgo this idea.

The rabbit I have seen has been in the garden centre for a long time, I think because he has a ripped ear (no doubt people see this as 'unattractive'). He looked so down, when I first saw him a couple of months ago he had litter mates in with him, but now he's been left behind... it breaks my heart!

Anyway, I'd really appreciate it it anyone has any experience of bonding 2 unrelated older males - Thanks!!

I think it very much depends on the bun. You would need to get him neutered first and give him chance for his hormones to settle. I have bonded two single males with Dutchie and the girls and the boys have been fine the girls on the other hand :roll:

Hiya, I've just bonded 2 unrelated boys together with another of our females :) We've also got a foursome that has 2 boys & 2 girls in it - all unrelated :)

It can be done BUT it depends very much on the personalities of the bunnies involved.

My best advice would be to ensure you have a back up plan. You need to bear in mind what would you do with the garden centre bun if they didn't bond ok?

Would you be able to keep 2 boys singly? If you could keep them singly where would you keep them? Keep single buns outside is very unfair on them, as they need company being the social animals that they are.

The other thing is to make sure both boys are neutered & have had at least 6 weeks for their hormones to subside. Also when bonding make sure it is done in a small, neutral environment that neither bun has been in before.

Can I just ask is Angel speyed? If not, this could be the reason she attacked Barley (even if he is neutered) :(

Hope this helps & good luck what ever you decide to do :)

Hiya, I've just bonded 2 unrelated boys together with another of our females :) We've also got a foursome that has 2 boys & 2 girls in it - all unrelated :)

It can be done BUT it depends very much on the personalities of the bunnies involved.

My best advice would be to ensure you have a back up plan. You need to bear in mind what would you do with the garden centre bun if they didn't bond ok?

Would you be able to keep 2 boys singly? If you could keep them singly where would you keep them? Keep single buns outside is very unfair on them, as they need company being the social animals that they are.

The other thing is to make sure both boys are neutered & have had at least 6 weeks for their hormones to subside. Also when bonding make sure it is done in a small, neutral environment that neither bun has been in before.

Can I just ask is Angel speyed? If not, this could be the reason she attacked Barley (even if he is neutered) :(

Hope this helps & good luck what ever you decide to do :)

Thanks for this!:wave:

Angel is spayed, she just does not seem to want company! She tried to attack my other 2 girls through the run wire!!!

Thanks for this!:wave:

Angel is spayed, she just does not seem to want company! She tried to attack my other 2 girls through the run wire!!!

Oh dear naughty Angel! :lol: Some buns just don't want company of their own kind I suppose!

Just noticed from your siggy, would you be able to bond either of the boys with your mini lop sisters to have a trio if it didn't work with both boys?

Oh dear naughty Angel! :lol: Some buns just don't want company of their own kind I suppose!

Just noticed from your siggy, would you be able to bond either of the boys with your mini lop sisters to have a trio if it didn't work with both boys?

I hadn't thought of that! I'm not sure though, as they're almost 6 and have been just the 2 of them their whole lives. Also, Merry, the dominant one of the 2 sometimes chases Pippin when she can see Barley through the run wire, so I think she'd probably object!:lol:

I hadn't thought of that! I'm not sure though, as they're almost 6 and have been just the 2 of them their whole lives. Also, Merry, the dominant one of the 2 sometimes chases Pippin when she can see Barley through the run wire, so I think she'd probably object!:lol:

Oh dear :lol: I tell you these girlies can't half be stroppy when they want to be! :roll::lol:

Back