• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At what point are buns lives valid?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I've read about a couple of unexpected doe pregnancies on here and about the option of an emergency spay. I suppose it's the same as the abortion debate amongst humans, but at what point is it considered that the buns are serious little lives about to be born rather than a fertilized egg that can be removed along with a womb?

ideally they are valid from conception.. :love::love::love: but if a Doe has been put into a rescue pregnant then when does her life become valid :cry::cry: chances are shes pregnant with inbreeds, has been used as a baby factory, may not be strong enough to be a mom :cry:.. in this crappy world its better to let the littleuns go i reakon as heart breaking as it is for the person making the decision :(

I am pro emergency spay... why bring in more baby buns where there are enough in rescue as it is? :( Of course, it should be done when the foetus isn't developed enough so it doesn't feel the pain.

In Romania, they would abort the dogs babies even if they were a week away from giving birth. Controversial, I know, but I can understand why they did it and in this case, I fully support it.

I'm generally very pro-live but this is something I've put my thinking head on for instead of letting my heart rule.

If it's not in the doe or the kits' interests then I think an emergency spay should be done. Much the same reasons that Donna has already listed really.

Tink was considered for an emergency spay when she was taken to rescue as she had been living with her parents and was about 12 weeks old. It was decided (after considering all the options) that she was too young to spay and it would be less risky for her to go full term, there was only a risk she was pregnant, it wasn't definite. She was pregnant to her father :cry: Even though she was only a baby herself she did fine, bless her. It did mean there were 15 rabbits from that rescue instead of the original five though, and that is a lot to find homes for. .... two of the inbred babies died at a few weeks old :cry: I wouldn't like to be making these decisions on a regular basis, and I'd hate to be the vet performing the task :cry::cry:

well in humans it is about 3-4 months I think, roughly a third of the pregnancy when you can have an abortion. It's a bit tricky, I would say normally if it's about a week we'd consider it but possibly not much after although when they arrive you can't always be 100% sure of how far gone they are (unless they can specifically tie it to a date) and you rely on a vet to do the assessement of how far gone she is, is she healthy enough to be spayed, is she healthy enough to go full term and then make their recomendation. Although babies can be a drain on spaces and other resources as they have to be kept for longer to ensure that they are neutered etc we never seem to have a shortage of people wanting to foster them :lol::lol::lol: and people often prefer to have a bunny that is younger so they are often the first to find homes so if we can't do an emergency spay then it isn't too much of a problem, it's just one of those things that you have to accept if you help to run a rescue.

I worked with a woman who a few years ago got a male/female pair of rabbits and a guinea pig from P@H for her children (I'm saying nothing).

Anyway, she did try to do right by them she allowed me to rehome the guinea pig) and booked the doe in for a spay on my reccomendation that she would end up pregnant (she would not get the buck neutered). It turned out that the doe was in early stages of pregnancy when she was spayed (she got through it really well).

As much as I think it is really sad, I think that the vet made the right decision, there was no way this woman could have coped and I had used up all my possible rehoming people at this point.

I think its abit sad but still have no problem with it. So long as the mum is ok.
Unfortunatly their are too many people on the planet and too many unwanted buns/dogs/cats etc too.

I think so long as there are no other options, then it needs to be done. I think this is especially true of those who are inbred, and it was certainly the right decision when I was faced with the decision when Ava came to live with me. She was pregnant, potentially, with her sons babies. A heart breaking one, and one I wouldn't like to make every day, but no rescue was able to guarentee kittens a place, and I contacted every rescue in the area.

I think it depends. If the rabbit arrives in rescue then I think an emergancy spay is no problem. But, if a person who has two healty, unreleated animals is careless (be it accidental or not paying proper attention/not knowing) then they shouldn't be spayed because it's down to a human error.

My rat got pregnant (two female rats? sureeee) and I kept some babies, and the others went to new homes. I would never have spayed her because it was my fault

I am pro emergancy spey Ive had this done with one of my own rabbits but had the vet not tell me if she was pregnant or not. It was for the best because theres no way i could house a possible 6 extra rabbits and good homes are hard to find these days so id have been screwed really :( people probably think i am a cruel :censored: but i did what i felt was right so dont really care how others think of my decision

I keep telling myself that i cant remember being in the womb or being born and i doubt unborn baby rabbits would really know whats going on either although i would draw a line if the babies were ready to be born anyways but its hard for rescues to judge how far along a doe is when she comes into rescue so the choice of emergancy spay will probably be decided on the condition/health of the doe and obviously space available in the rescue + other reasons that i cant think of.

Oooo interesting thread

I got battered (really battered, as in left for a while:lol:) on here once for booking a newly arrived foster in for a potentionally-late-although-turned-out-to-be-early emergency spay. Incidentally - none of the people battering me offered to take in the pair of buns or their possible babies.

I also have a fear of pregnancy myself so I think that plays a part in my opinions, but I stand by my decisions that life starts with birth. Too many people/animals are brought into this world with no one giving a toss about what happens to them. Surely it's better to have no life than a life of pain, hate,unhappiness & loneliness until it kills you.

Oooo interesting thread

I got battered (really battered, as in left for a while:lol:) on here once for booking a newly arrived foster in for a potentionally-late-although-turned-out-to-be-early emergency spay. Incidentally - none of the people battering me offered to take in the pair of buns or their possible babies.

I also have a fear of pregnancy myself so I think that plays a part in my opinions, but I stand by my decisions that life starts with birth. Too many people/animals are brought into this world with no one giving a toss about what happens to them. Surely it's better to have no life than a life of pain, hate,unhappiness & loneliness until it kills you.

I agree with this.

Suffering is worse than "being dead."

Off the top of my head I think up to two weeks would be fine, later than that you'd want to talk things over with a vet first and weigh up pros/cons. I think later is more risky because there is a bigger blood supply involved?

I don't think it's a desirable thing to have to do in the second half of the pregnancy (i.e. after a couple of weeks).

The only time I would opt for abortion in any of my rabbits would be if a pair of un-neutered rabbits accidentally got in together and the spay was done within a few days.

Personally I would prefer to have to cope with the consequences of more rabbits than have a very late spay done, but I can see why rescues have no choice but do it.

Back