• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back problems U/D...possible head tilt? (pictures added)

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Last night Pixie insisted on spending the majority of bed time in bed with me! :love: She started out on top of the covers, but then snuggled under with me! I might not have got any sleep, but it was so lovely to have her to cuddle up to! :love::love:

This morning she was having a mad run around upstairs, and I don't know what happened, but I turned around and she was on her back, in spasms. :shock: Not knowing what to do I picked her up and whilst her back legs were floppy and normal her front legs were stuck, straight out in front of her.:( I lay her on the bed, and she couldn't move very well, so called the emergency vet and took her in straight away...(Ol was NOT happy that I ruined his breakfast! ;))

She loosened up by the time we got to the vet, and we were seen really quickly. He had a look at her, and couldn't see anything wrong, other than the obvious pain she was in. :(:( She had metacam and another longer lasting pain killer.

She's spent all morning on my bed, lying there, and I was starting to get really worried, but this afternoon she's started hopping about a bit. She's a bit wobbly, but seems to be finding her feet.

The only thing I can think is that she did something to her back! :( As she can move her limbs do you think she's ok....or could there still be something wrong with her back?

I feel like such a **** bunny mum. I've only had her a few weeks and I can't stop her from getting hurt. :(:(...what am I doing wrong?:(:( I feel so bad for Verity, who entrusted me with her girl.

Last edited:
The poor little thing. :cry: Vibes for Pixie and for you. :)

I want my two two snuggle with me in bed :(

I woke up with her licking my cheek! :love::love:

Poor girl....I'm hoping that it's nothing more than this, and that she'll loosen up and all will be well!
....I can't stop her from running about....what if she does it again? She's on strict cage rest.........or bed rest;) for the next few days. She can't have been feeling well earlier as she weed on my bed, rather than hopping into her litter tray that I'd put next to her.

Poor girl. I hope she just pulled a muscle.

She seems like she's really happy with you. And you are lucky, if Grim sleeps in the bed with me, I wake up because he's headbutting me for snuggles. ;)

No advice really, but don't feel bad.This isn't your fault and neither was the tiff the buns had....as i know from last night it only takes a split second for them to cause damage! I feel terrible too but keep telling myself i love them and do the very best i can for them as it's clear you do too - straight to the emergency vets shows that (i had to take Adam in his pj's last night :shock:)
xx
The only time Littlebun wakes me up is when she's doing the sprint under the bed and around it at 3am :roll:

Jealous much :(

When I lived with my mum I'd regularly wake up because there was an earthquake in the form of Teddy on my bed! :lol::lol: He'd lie with me until I was nearly asleep and then jumped all over me! :shock:....doesn't really allow you a good night's sleep!

Thanks Jenova...I'm hoping it was a pulled muscle...but it was so horrid seeing her spasm like that. I thought she was paralysed when her front legs were stuck. I managed not to panic...well...much!:roll:

No advice really, but don't feel bad.This isn't your fault and neither was the tiff the buns had....as i know from last night it only takes a split second for them to cause damage! I feel terrible too but keep telling myself i love them and do the very best i can for them as it's clear you do too - straight to the emergency vets shows that (i had to take Adam in his pj's last night :shock:)
xx
The only time Littlebun wakes me up is when she's doing the sprint under the bed and around it at 3am :roll:

Oh no...I think I missed this! Hope the buns are ok! :(

Hi not sure about rabbits but i got up one day and it seemed like my dogs back legs were parylsed, after a hysterical rush to the vets and some anti inflamitries ,sorry bout spellin,she recoved quickly and was jumping about everywhere by t time and four years later has never done it again! Hope bunny is ok as well xx

Are you sure it wasn't a seizure?

What should I have looked for.....it hadn't even crossed my mind! :(:(

She was running around like a mad bun, and this happened as she was doing the corner....I figured she'd skidded too much and gone over onto her back.

Its hard to say as they can vary so much, but basically they just go over on their sides and their legs can stiffen or shake. Their backs can twist. Their whole bodies can either shake or go rigid. Afterwards they can either be completely fine , or be visable shaken and subdued and can need pain relief. Sometimes they will eat Ok after sometimes they wont eat for a bit. So it is hard to generalise. But my initial reaction reading what you had posted was a seizure, but then we have a lot of bunnies that have had seizures here so maybe I would assume that :?

Generally the vets can't find anything wrong once they get to a consult.

Thats a whole load of waffle and not very helpful, but they do vary so much, just as they do with people :(

Its hard to say as they can vary so much, but basically they just go over on their sides and their legs can stiffen or shake. Their backs can twist. Their whole bodies can either shake or go rigid. Afterwards they can either be completely fine , or be visable shaken and subdued and can need pain relief. Sometimes they will eat Ok after sometimes they wont eat for a bit. So it is hard to generalise. But my initial reaction reading what you had posted was a seizure, but then we have a lot of bunnies that have had seizures here so maybe I would assume that :?

Generally the vets can't find anything wrong once they get to a consult.

Thats a whole load of waffle and not very helpful, but they do vary so much, just as they do with people :(

If it was a seizure is there anything I should do now? (Sorry for all the questions...I have no idea about this kind of thing!) Should I be watching her like a hawk in case it happens again? Could it do anything to her brain? What could cause it?! Do I sound terrified?! :lol::lol:

She was on her back shaking...twisting a bit. She was really shaken up afterwards.

We need more pixie pics!

When the boy's gone to his Grandma's (5.45) I'll go sit with her. I keep going and checking on her, but don't want to bring her down to me as Ol, whilst being very good, doesn't understand that she's feeling sorry for herself.

She's not looking her normal stunning self at the moment...a little bit folorn. :(:( Pixie pictures = much :love::love::love:

If it was a seizure is there anything I should do now? (Sorry for all the questions...I have no idea about this kind of thing!) Should I be watching her like a hawk in case it happens again? Could it do anything to her brain? What could cause it?! Do I sound terrified?! :lol::lol:

She was on her back shaking...twisting a bit. She was really shaken up afterwards.

I would speak to the vet about starting her on panacur and metacam as a precaution if you think a fit is a possibility. TBH it does sound like one to me :? but obviously without seeing it I couldn't say for definate.

She may have more or she may never have another. If she does have more it could be 6 months before it happens again or it could be tomorrow. There really is no way of knowing. I would just keep an eye on her but at the end of the day you can't watch her 24/7, you can only do so much :)

Back