• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those with long haired buns.

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
A couple of questions if you dont mind me asking!!
Roland has been having hair cuts at the rescue....
Do you get your bunnies hair cut in the summer?? Where do you get it done??
How often do you groom?? What about around the eyes?? How about the tummy?? Roland is a bit lively shall we say.Will this change as he gets used to it?? I dont want him to get matts.What sort of bedding do you use??
Sorry about bombarding you...
Many thanks.xx

How often do you groom?? What about around the eyes?? How about the tummy?? Roland is a bit lively shall we say.Will this change as he gets used to it?? I dont want him to get matts.What sort of bedding do you use??
Many thanks.xx
i have a double maned lionhead i trim around ehr eyes with ascissors as she sits very still and is good as gold (only so she can see!!!) when she isnt moulty she grooms herself when she is like now i have to brush her daily else she is matted up and looks like a neglet case in 24hours!!! or on muddy days as she loves digign!!!

i have a double maned lionhead i trim around ehr eyes with ascissors as she sits very still and is good as gold (only so she can see!!!) when she isnt moulty she grooms herself when she is like now i have to brush her daily else she is matted up and looks like a neglet case in 24hours!!! or on muddy days as she loves digign!!!

Hmmmm.Very interesting as Roland is a very tidy bunny....Im really surprised!!
I dont know his passed history..I reckon he was a house bun...but he does enjoy the lawn and patio..(Mrs B tends to go all over the garden...up the bank and everywhere...shes a lionhead x with just the mane)..Roland However is a full on long haired lionhead puss...I mean bunny...(he looks like a cat!!)

Hmmmm.Very interesting as Roland is a very tidy bunny....Im really surprised!!
I dont know his passed history..I reckon he was a house bun...but he does enjoy the lawn and patio..(Mrs B tends to go all over the garden...up the bank and everywhere...shes a lionhead x with just the mane)..Roland However is a full on long haired lionhead puss...I mean bunny...(he looks like a cat!!)

lol my double maned lionhead is called kitty as she looks so much like a cat.... when she isnt moulting i dont have to brush her one bit even if she been digging i assuume coco (her husbun) manages to keep her fur in control but as soon as she starts moulting she seems to matt up around her face .... i think the wet weather has not helped so much as they are outdoor bunnies, when it was dry/snowy she was fine but then again she wasnt moulting then!!!!
DSC00079.jpg

Last edited:
I tend to just cut of matts even in the summer unless it is really hot. How ofetn they are brushed really depends on their coat, some can go a week without needing a brush. Others need it every day. Some are more co-operative than others. Today I was trying to get the last of hedgehogs matts out and I ended up with a new breed of bunny. A red eyed white and red bunny :roll: Don't worry it was my blood he got covered in, he's not keen on being brushed :lol:

Mine are bedded on vet bed or fleece.

I tend to just cut of matts even in the summer unless it is really hot. How ofetn they are brushed really depends on their coat, some can go a week without needing a brush. Others need it every day. Some are more co-operative than others. Today I was trying to get the last of hedgehogs matts out and I ended up with a new breed of bunny. A red eyed white and red bunny :roll: Don't worry it was my blood he got covered in, he's not keen on being brushed :lol:

Mine are bedded on vet bed or fleece.

Blood? Lawks!!!! Roland is flighty like that.How can you calm them???
I ended up with scratches all over......:roll:

Many thanks.xx

We like to trim Fuzzy's hair in the summer, to keep her cool and to keep it out of her eyes.
Try and groom her every other day otherwise she gets matts.
We cut the fur around her eyes, to stop it from getting in the way. Me and my mum do it.
Dont do anything with her tummy as it is fine, and just a little fluffy.

I used to have a little fluff bun that was longhaired. As long as she was brushed ever couple of days she usually kept herself clean and mat free. In summer if she was getting too hot I would trim her up a little, but she didnt appreciate it.

I cut my lionheads mane too, I do it to help her clean herself otherwise she just ends up trying to pull her fur out from under her chin, which is pretty funny to watch, but annoying to her.
I dont brush her as much as I probably should as she hates it but when she is malting I pay more attention to it.

Hi!

My lionhead Crumpet is particularly wooly so I brush him every night, which at first he hated, but now loves as it means we can both relax together! I haven't yet mastered the art of brushing his tummy, but iv been advised that all areas, especially those with high friction need to be done.

Crumps used to have wood shavings as bedding but they get sucked into his fur and are super hard to get out :? We have now started using wood litter, which kinda looks like wood macaroni :D it's absorbant and doesn't get in his fur so I'd recommend that.

If at first he runs away from the brush, wait till he has a good in around and when he's tired himself out just start on his nose, and persist!

i brush teddys hair nearly every day. at this time of the year she starts losing her mane so it gets very tatty but i'm lucky that ted will sit a peace when i'm brushing her.

I do trim my three regularly, i just cut the bit of long hair up their nose so that it doesnt droop over their eyes and they can't see. Luckily i can hold them all still enough to do that. Otherwise i dont cut any other fur off.
I groom Simba very often, at least every other day, as he knots really badly, his fur is woolly and goes like tanged cotton wool! The other two arent so knotty so i do them about once a week or less. I use a cat flea comb and another comb which is similar but has alternate long and short teeth which gets into any knots easier.
Is Roland going to be indoors or out? My three are indoors on lino, they have underbed storage boxes which i put newspaper in the bottom and hay on top. I've tried other litters and nothing else worked as Nala refused to go on anything lumpy :roll: lighter things like megazorb got stuck in fur. I did used to use vetbed/towels/fleeces too but not very friendly on your washing machine :lol:

I give Scarlett a quick brush with a soft baby brush usually every day, but she doesn't really get tangled

She lives outside and I use megazorb in the trays and they get loads of hay, she has always got bits of hay in her fur :lol: but I have seen Trip pulling them out when he grooms her. If not I just comb it out

Back