• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit spayed and neuted advice

flip flop

New Kit
hi ive just had my rabbits neuted and spayed flop was neuted 2 weeks ago and flip was spayed 1 week ago vet said i could put them back together 3 to 4 days is this two soon she had the stiches inside her she has been indoors for the last week she seems ok eating pooing and drinking ok, she gave birth to 9 bunnies which we have homed them all to people we know of, so we have had them done to be safe but cant wait to see them back together they have been apart for 3 months now ,so could somebody let me know if i cant place them back together or wait a little longer

Sorry, I don't have any experience of this. I'd say though that it's best to wait another week, just to give her a chance for the wounds to heal, and for her to feel happier and more comfortable. Even though he's been neutered the residual hormones will probably kick in, and he'll mount her. Obviously you don't want her to be hurt or frightened! :)

I'm sure my vet told me it can take 10 weeks for the neutering in male buns to take full effect?? So even though the female has been done too and i would imagine that would take effect instantly i think if the male is still hormonal and wanting to hump the female then it would be a good idea to keep them apart for longer in case he injures her.

A male is still fertile for up to 6 weeks after neuter, but if female is done, then you are safe anyway.

As far as how soon - I generally make sure bun has had final check-up a week or so after & all stitches have been removed/scar is healing well:D

Both buns can remain hormonal for several weeks after, so if it's a new bonding you may want to wait a bit if you expect problems:D

It is just like a cat or dog getting a medical procedure so they can't have babies any more. It costs about the same as it does for small dogs or cats. You need to call up a vet in your area and find one that knows how to do this to rabbits. Ask them

Back