• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My poor Smokey! :(

KTJ

Alpha Buck
Morning :)

I spoke to the vets today and they have been able to move Smokey's de-plumming operation from 3 weeks time to next Wednesday :shock: I do think that that's great as the quicker he has his little op, the sooner I can bond him back with Bandita. But the problem is, is that I was planning on looking after him after his operation, and was going to give him the floor space in my room and follow the advice of everyone on here, but I'm actually away from home next Wednesday, so my Mum has said that she will take care of him. My Mum does a great job with the rabbits and helps me out all the time, but I'm just so sensitive and worried about my poor little man, I want to be the one to look after him! I feel so sorry for him, he won't have a clue what's happening to him :( I've been really lucky with Smokey and he's never had to have any operations or treatment for anything, he's going to be so scared.

I know it's for the best but I can't help feeling rubbish that it wont be me who picks him up and takes him home!
Am I right in thinking that when he comes home, he has to be kept in for atleast 24 hours in an unheated room with food and water? Then when he goes back outside he won't need any further treatment?

Sorry for moaning, Im just more stressed than I thought I would be! xx

Little men bunnies seem to cope alot better than lady bunnies when it comes to this sort of thing.
Trust me, he will be just fine and if your mum is looking after him too, then Im sure he will recover with a few cuddles and extra greens.
My little fella is a changed bun since he had his pockets picked!!
Dont fret.Its all for the best.xxxxx

Awww, don't stress about it! I don't remember my pair being particually bothered after their ops! Yes, keeping them in for 24 hours is traditional after GA - tell your mum to make sure he's eating, drinking and using his littertray too. Wishing him luck with it!

Thank you for your replies, the support on this forum always amazes me, it's nice to know other people know how you feel etc.
I'm sure he'll be ok, the vets all my animals are registered at are fantastic, Im just a bit upset at how scared he'll be :( But loads of people have said how quickly the boys bounce back from their little ops, so he'll be back to normal in no time!
Flopsy is being "done" soon aswell. I love him to bits, his character is just amazing, he's just too stubborn and confident for his own good!! ... but Im kind've looking forward to him being de-plummed- hopefully then he'll stop weeing on me and spraying when he comes in the house, and scratching and biting me if I don't rub him belly as quick as he'd like!!!! xxx

I agree with the above posts. Just make sure he has something soft to lay on for a few days be cause hay will be a bit spikey for him. I know it's a worry (I always cry when mine have to have a GA:oops:) but he will be fine.

FC x

Mum rang half an hour ago to say that Smokey had been dropped off at the vets for his little operation :( I hope my little man is going to be ok, he's quite timid and I just keep thinking how he must be feeling in a strange place with strange people doing new things to him :( I know it's for the best, and I'm so lucky to have a rabbit with no health issues, but it's his first time at the vets having more than just a check up, so in a way, it probably would've calmed him down if he had been before!
Sorry for whining about something so unimportant, but he's my little boy and I won't even be there to cuddle him later xxxxx Hope everyone else's buns are all ok! :)

Hey, don't worry! The cages where they have the rabbits have always been nice and quiet when I've been there. I'm sure his little op will be fine - you know he's in good hands!! Do something really proactive today to take your mind of it.

Loadsa vibes...

Hey, don't worry! The cages where they have the rabbits have always been nice and quiet when I've been there. I'm sure his little op will be fine - you know he's in good hands!! Do something really proactive today to take your mind of it.

Loadsa vibes...

Hi Hoppit...
I did what you said I got LOADS of uni work done today which was great and kept my mind off Smokes for a good 4 hours... Had a call from the vets just now, he's staying in over night, but providing he's passed wee's and poo's overnight, he can be collected tomorrow afternoon :D
Sooooo happy and I can chill out a bit now, as he is in very good hands this evening, despite how confused he'll be. Thank you for your support, it is very much appreciated xxx

Yay! Told you he'd be fine! :D Make sure you have something yummy ready for his tea tomorrow, and he'll forget about it soon enough.

Back