• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help needed

lickleminky

New Kit
Hi all, I have 13 rabbits and one of them is really poorly, I only noticed tonight so she has gone down really quick, she was ok when I let her out for a run last night. She is lethargic and feels gassy, I think it may me GI, I have been massaging her belly all night which she allows me to do but if I move her she moans so I don't want to hurt her. I can't get to the vet tonight, does anybody know of any home remedy I can give her for pain/gas until the morning? I've a feelng she won't make it through the night but I hate the thought of her being in pain.

Is there an emergency vet that you can call or take her tonight? Sorry that I am not much help but sounds like she really need to see a vet as soon as possible if you feel that she will not make it through the night. Someone more knowledgable should be along shortly.

No. you must take her to a vet. She could have bloat, and this could prove fatal. She is depending on you, she can't go by herself. If you were seriously ill and in pain you would want someone to take you to hospital.

Believe me if I could get to a vet tonight I would take her, but I can't get a lift till the morning and their are a long long way away.

I agree unless you have experience of this which I am sensing you don't then you really need to check she isn't obstructed before you start admininstering anything. At the very least you need to be ringing them and talking to a nurse. The only thing you can do is keep her warm and encourage her to eat a small piece of cucumber and then hay. If she won't touch it or move around you can leave it in front of her, you cannot force her with anything as she may be obstructed and you will do more harm than good, also put a saucer of cooled boiled water in front of her slightly warm.

IF she is obstructed, giving anything by mouth could be dangerous, which is why she needs to see a vet. Does she feel or look bloated?

I live in a farming area where rabbits are seen as pests so I can't get anyone to help me get them to the vet at this time of the night, I rescued the rabbits from being killed for food and I don't have the money to get a taxi, I wouldn't hesitate if I did honestly.

She feels a little bloated, I've been rubbing her belly for the last hour and I gave her a little water with a syringe.

I live in a farming area where rabbits are seen as pests so I can't get anyone to help me get them to the vet at this time of the night, I rescued the rabbits from being killed for food and I don't have the money to get a taxi, I wouldn't hesitate if I did honestly.

Is she a baby rabbit by any chance?

Fibreplex is a probiotic and prebiotic supplement to encourage normal digestive function, a complimentary feeding stuff in a tube - available from the vet or some pet stores, useful to have for digestive upsets. You could have maybe put a small amount on her front paw and if she licked it that would possibly have been a good sign, you cannot force anything into her at this stage as I said but, you can gently encourage a sip of water from a saucer, or a nibble of cucumber for fluid, do you have nice fresh hay in front of her - you need to lay out all her favourite things in front of her and make sure she warm on all sides and underneath - a snugglesafe is handy - you heat them in the microwave - if you dont have one a towel from on a radiator will do to warm her underneath.

Last edited:
She feels a little bloated, I've been rubbing her belly for the last hour and I gave her a little water with a syringe.

Please don't syringe her anything - you really can do more harm than good, you should only do this on veterinary advice after examination. Just put the water cooled but, slightly tepid in a saucer in front of her. Are her ears cold or hot or warm?

No she's about a year old, I have her in a box surrounded by fresh hay, she in the house with me at the moment she's usually kept with her sisters in a large hutch in the shed. I will get a supply of the fibreplex tomorrow, the only think I have here is aloe vera juice but as you say I don't want to force anything in to her. I read somewhere to squuezed pineapple juice into her water to try and encourage her to drink, but she's not interested at the moment. Im counting the hours to morning, thank you for your help guys.

Oh dear, what a horrible situation you're in! :(

It does sound like she might have bloat, particularly if she's moaning when you touch her - it's always a bad sign when a bun makes noise due to pain, as they're a prey animal they obviously don't want to draw attention to themselves. Is her tummy round and hard? When did she last eat and poo? For the moment I'd make her as comfortable as possible by keeping her warm, and provide some water in a bowl. Try and tempt her to eat with her favourite treats. Rabbits can deteriorate very quickly, so do try and get her to a vet as soon as you can tomorrow. Good luck!

She allows me to rub her belly infact I think it gives her some relief. She isn't as bloated as she was when I found her, she shares a litter tray with her sisters so I don't know when she went last, she hasn't poo'd in the last hour or so though. I will get her to the vets first thing tomorrow and let you know how she is. Times like this really makes me wish I lived closer to civilisation.

She is going to need observation all night every couple of hours - you need to lay out a bunny buffet and be aware of all that is there so you know if she has eaten - do you have any dandelion, it's really important she is out of draughts and ideally warm underneath - you need to get her to move in an hour or so - don't force her but, she needs to try and hop slightly that is why the bunny buffet preferably with a small piece of cucumber (teaspoon) size is good and herbs that she can smell - rub them but, them a couple of hops away and keep it dimly lit and quiet - I take it the box is on it's side so she can get out of it ? She needs to be able to move when ready and stretch out (her body length) she may press her tummy to the floor if it's gas. Ideally you would at least ring the vets now - if you don't have experience the advice is to get there hell or high water as you can lose your rabbit to this condition overnight otherwise. I am only giving you advice on the basis you appear to be unable to do this, she will need observing and checking all night, if her ears go cold and she will not move without appearing in pain it is absolutely an emergency. Good luck x

I hope your bunny survives the night and the vet is able to help. A real danger with a poorly bunny is that they are unable to regulate their body temperature so follow the advice you have been given to keep her warm. there is little other advice we can give as the wrong advice could prove fatal, i'm afraid.

Back