• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pregnancy and nesting advice.

cally73

Young Bun
Hi I posted the other day about my locum vet wrongly sexing one of my buns :cry:so he has been living with a young female for 2 months now, ( I was told he was a she) so I am now possibly going to be a nana soon !!! He said I can take her in for an ultra sound to see if she is. Tonight she has been dragging her hay around a lot. Could she be nesting? How soon do they do this before the birth? Is straw ok for her to use or would hay be better? I was also wondering if she has been dragging the hay around looking for her companion who I have obviously had to remove since his castration on Mon! I know not a lot about pregnant buns I would however have good homes for them if she was pregnant so I am not wanting to go along the emergency spay route.

Hay is much softer than straw, so if she is nesting, hay would be best :)

When one of my foster buns had a litter, she made the nest then gave birth within a few hours. She pulled lots of her fur out from her chest aswell to make the nest :love:

Is she indoors/outdoors?

the gestation period for a rabbit is 31 days.
Some make thier nest on the day of birth others can nest weeks before.

Unsure about the ultrasound idea..never heard of them for rabbits. usually the vet would feel for babies.

Hi There :)

Im not an expert on rabbits at all, but I was in a very similar position to you a month ago so thought Id share my experience... I took on 2 male rabbits last summer- nearly 9 months ago- and had no reason to believe they weren't both male... then I noticed a month ago that one of them was humping the other... so I spoke to a vet and they said it was a "dominance thing" and not to worry.... then Bandit started to make a nest. You will know if she is nesting because she will rip her own fur out to line it. Bandit nested a week before she gave birth, but I know that most rabbits nest a lot closer to the birth. I think it's great that you have had the male neutered so soon after finding out, let's just hope that your little girl isnt pregnant because I can tell you now- however gorgeous baby bunnies are, they are a lot of work and finding good, forever homes for them can be tricky, I was just very lucky that I have the time and space to keep them all!

Have you thought about taking her in for the ultrasound? Just so you know for sure and can make preparations for the babies if they're coming (like getting hutches for them and making space for them.)

The more prepared you are for a litter (if there is one there) the better because like KTJ says it will be hard once you have the babies to find them the kind of forever homes that you will be satisfied with - and if she has more than four babies, that's a lot to deal with!

no advice re: pregnancy and nesting, other than when I put my entire female with my neutered male, she went into phantom pregnancy mode, where she makes a nest for a couple of weeks, then totally forgets about it:roll:

My Main point is please remember that dad can be fertile for upto 6 weeks after neutering, so it is wise to keep them apart until that point or after she has weaned any kits, which ever is later.

Back