• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter-training rabbits...

KTJ

Alpha Buck
Hi Everyone :)

I hope you're all ok and your buns are being as gorgeous as ever!

Just a quick question: How do you litter-train a rabbit?!

I have practically given up on litter-training Flopsy, my last attempt resulted in him chasing me around and kicking all the litter out of his tray, then when I decided to give it a break, he came and sat on my lap, put his paws on my shoulders and weed on me, the little devil!

... But I have 4 young bunnies who I am hoping to litter train, but I'm not quite sure where to start as I've never had to do it before, not even for a cat! Is it as simple as putting a litter tray in their hutch and hoping they use it?!

Any replies are much appreciated!! xx

They way I have always done it is: find the area they go the toilet in most and put some newspaper there. If they go on it move up to a low sided litter tray. Takes a while for them to get used to it and sometimes they move their toilet to another area, but just keep trying.

On the other hand there is Smoo...

She goes anywhere and everywhere, in the litter trays that Grim happily uses and on the floor. I end up cleaning the hutch every two days and the litter trays every week. Anyone else see anything wrong with that? :lol:

But Smoo is a rescue bun so how do I know what her previous life was like? She could have been in a tiny hutch with nowhere to go apart from where she was. Three years is a long time to gain a habit. :(

But buns tend to be tidy and clean by nature so good luck. :wave:

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for the luck, I think I'm going to need it!
I'll try the newspaper method, I would never have thought of that before... this forum is a lifesaver!! xx

I'm sure other people have other methods but that one worked for me with Grimlock. He still poos on the floor sometimes but that's to mark his territory. Usually after an operation or just by the chinchillas to tell them that it's his room! ;)

Back