• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To worm or not to worm

Biscuit's Mum!

Warren Veteran
I never have problems with worming Biscuit, I sneak a bit of panacur in her carrots and get it in her that way.

This is the first time I have had to worm Badger, however, and he is proving difficult. I can't get it into him by food, he is somehow too flipping smart for that :roll: and I can't get him to take it from the syringe.

The problem I have is that as he is a rescue bun, and has been with us less than 3 months he is still pretty timid. He has got so much better with me (although stroking is still a no-no when he is free range!). I don't want to have to pick him up and force it into him. I think it will undo all the trust I have managed to build up.

So, can I get away with not worming him? At least just this time as hopefully in 6 months when Bisc is due again, he will be even more settled. :? I don't want to risk distressing him.

Its no longer recomende to routinely worm bunnies.

But the RWA do advise a one off preventative course of 28 days to protect against EC.

Apart from that you would only need to retreat if there were signs of worms or EC.

I had the same problem giving it to Dylan (Pepper was ill and they were both being treated in a last ditch attempt to help her - it worked!). When i tried to give it to him straight from the syringe it would end up all over his face.

I ended up spreading it over a number of his favourite treats which happened to be in the shape of a disk. It was like spreading cream on a cracker. He ate them though.

worming./.rabbits

I never have problems with worming Biscuit, I sneak a bit of panacur in her carrots and get it in her that way.

This is the first time I have had to worm Badger, however, and he is proving difficult. I can't get it into him by food, he is somehow too flipping smart for that :roll: and I can't get him to take it from the syringe.

The problem I have is that as he is a rescue bun, and has been with us less than 3 months he is still pretty timid. He has got so much better with me (although stroking is still a no-no when he is free range!). I don't want to have to pick him up and force it into him. I think it will undo all the trust I have managed to build up.

So, can I get away with not worming him? At least just this time as hopefully in 6 months when Bisc is due again, he will be even more settled. :? I don't want to risk distressing him.
is there a medical reason for worming.??.or is this just preventive maintenance.??/.i donot worm my rabbits,,so i was just curious why anyone would do it.??.sincerely james waller:wave:

Back