• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis-do I need to get my buns vaccinated?

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,
Am wondering whether to get my buns vaccinated against myxo? As some of you may already know I live in France (Chamonix to be exact) and although there are wild rabbits abit higher up in the mountains there aren't any in the valley,as far as I know. Also my buns are solely free range house rabbits so I have never felt before like they were in any danger. However I do live right next to a lake and in the summer we are abit plagued with insects (it gets sooooo hot and we have most of our windows open to keep it cool for the buns.) I've done some research but am still not sure how prominant myxo is in this area. Obviously I'm going to speak to my vet when I go and pick up Tillys ashes (hopefully very soon) but wondered if any of you have any thoughts on this?
Hope you're all having a good bunny day x

I would personally definitely get them vacinnated. I live in a town and mine are house buns too but my vet said Myxamatosis and VHD can both be bought indoors either on our shoes or via a fly/insect and with you being in a more rural setting i suppose that does up the risk a bit, the odds are still probably low, but for the sake of £40 twice a year to get them done, and the peace of mind that brings, i think it's worth every penny.

I would personally definitely get them vacinnated. I live in a town and mine are house buns too but my vet said Myxamatosis and VHD can both be bought indoors either on our shoes or via a fly/insect and with you being in a more rural setting i suppose that does up the risk a bit, the odds are still probably low, but for the sake of £40 twice a year to get them done, and the peace of mind that brings, i think it's worth every penny.

:thumb:

Back