• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help, im a little scared of my rabbit!!

snuffle_munch

Warren Scout
Last week Presley attacked one of my friends, he bit her quite badly and we she jumped up and screamed he went for her a again. I shouted at him and put him back in his house and he flopped out as if he had just done something good. Then this morning he went for my out half and to night he went for me. I dont know what to do im scared to go to sit with him to long. He had the snip three weeks ago, so I dont know if hes mad at us. Can anyone help or give me some advice of how to approach him? x

Hes probably scared :( Most rabbits dont like being held. Does he have another rabbit for company? What size hutch does he have? Is he indoors or outdoors?

Theres no point in telling him off, he wont understand :(

He doesnt like to be held so I dont hold him unless I have to. No hes an only rabbit as our land lord will only let us have one. He an indoor bunny and his cage is 4foot by 2foot and hes only in there at night when we go to bed.

Just checked and felt around his scares and theres no lumps and he didnt even bother when I did this.

I dont know why hes sudden taken a disliking to us he is a very loved and spoilt boy.

:? If its out of character which I am assuming it is I would deffo get him checked at the vets, also there could have been a number of factors,

eg, what was the scenario at the time, noises, smells etc where was she, what was she doing? You really need to give some thought to possible triggers - rabbits are prey animals therefore naturally cautious - I would only ever imagine this scenario in a provoked situation, remember your interpretation of provokation may not be the same in bunny language.:)

He doesnt like to be held so I dont hold him unless I have to. No hes an only rabbit as our land lord will only let us have one. He an indoor bunny and his cage is 4foot by 2foot and hes only in there at night when we go to bed.

Just checked and felt around his scares and theres no lumps and he didnt even bother when I did this.

I dont know why hes sudden taken a disliking to us he is a very loved and spoilt boy.

Well he can't be that viscious if he let you do that, I would still get him vet checked and think about possibilites that might have upset him, I personally think he sounds bored and frustrated, his hormones take a while to settle aswell. It sounds like there is a trust issue so you will have to start from scratch, sitting with him on the floor hand feeding his greens, plenty of toys and hay before being shut in (really a small cage even for overnight) and you will have to let him come to you before you give him strokes etc let him nudge you and another thing which I think people forget is that rabbits like to see your hand coming, move from the side round to the front and advise visitors of this. Best of luck - it sounds like he needs time and lots of interaction to build a bond again. Another one would be ideal for company. :)

It sounds to me like he's acting out of instict, the 'whole fight or flight' thing. Did he have a safe, enclosed place to retreat to on these occasions? I should imagine he's come to assossiate humans with negativity after his operation. It's going to take a while to restore his confidence in people, but you can do it. Here are some pointers:

1. Don't shout at him when he attacks - it'll just make him more scared and he'll be even worse after that.

2. Make sure he ALWAYS has somewhere safe to go hide. A cardboard box turned on it's side is good - make sure there is always one for him in the designated place once you've put one down. Keep the cage door open (I assume it's at floor level?) at all times when he's free-ranging, as this is probably where he feels safest.

3. Spend loads, and I mean LOADS of time down on his level. Literally lie on the floor, and let him come to you. Hand feed him treats, talk to him softly, even let him jump on your back. It's very important that you do this to show him he needn't be afraid of you.

4. Don't pick him up at all unless ABSOLUTELY necessary! Train him to come when called using his favourite treats, and use this method to get him back in his cage/in the carrier etc.

5. Be quiet around him. I don't mean a complete dead hush, but no blaring music, tv shouting kids etc. Buns have very sensitive hearing and any sudden or constant loud noise may well add to his distress. Talk normally when you're just in the room with him, but maybe lower your voice a little when you're down near him.

6. Avoid cleaning out his cage while he's in it. Buns can be very territorial, and it's not suprising really when you put yourself in their furry little shoes. Imagine a giant hand appearing through your ceiling and churning your furniture about!

7. Get him a friend. Buns are social animals, and a good bond with another bun should help him feel much happier, and more confident. A local rescue may well take care of the bonding for you.

8. Be patient. He will calm down a lot in time (my Pickles was a killer-rabbit in his youth!) and if you follow these basic steps I expect you'll see the difference pretty soon.

It sounds to me like he's acting out of instict, the 'whole fight or flight' thing. Did he have a safe, enclosed place to retreat to on these occasions? I should imagine he's come to assossiate humans with negativity after his operation. It's going to take a while to restore his confidence in people, but you can do it. Here are some pointers:

1. Don't shout at him when he attacks - it'll just make him more scared and he'll be even worse after that.

2. Make sure he ALWAYS has somewhere safe to go hide. A cardboard box turned on it's side is good - make sure there is always one for him in the designated place once you've put one down. Keep the cage door open (I assume it's at floor level?) at all times when he's free-ranging, as this is probably where he feels safest.

3. Spend loads, and I mean LOADS of time down on his level. Literally lie on the floor, and let him come to you. Hand feed him treats, talk to him softly, even let him jump on your back. It's very important that you do this to show him he needn't be afraid of you.

4. Don't pick him up at all unless ABSOLUTELY necessary! Train him to come when called using his favourite treats, and use this method to get him back in his cage/in the carrier etc.

5. Be quiet around him. I don't mean a complete dead hush, but no blaring music, tv shouting kids etc. Buns have very sensitive hearing and any sudden or constant loud noise may well add to his distress. Talk normally when you're just in the room with him, but maybe lower your voice a little when you're down near him.

6. Avoid cleaning out his cage while he's in it. Buns can be very territorial, and it's not suprising really when you put yourself in their furry little shoes. Imagine a giant hand appearing through your ceiling and churning your furniture about!

7. Get him a friend. Buns are social animals, and a good bond with another bun should help him feel much happier, and more confident. A local rescue may well take care of the bonding for you.

8. Be patient. He will calm down a lot in time (my Pickles was a killer-rabbit in his youth!) and if you follow these basic steps I expect you'll see the difference pretty soon.

:thumb: what a brilliant post, I would copy and save this one ! :D

He has loads of toy (I buy him new toys every two weeks), my house is covered in cardboard box filled with hay and some turnt up side down so he can hide in them. I sit with him on the floor most of the night (apart from tonight after what he did). His cage is always open apart from when we are in bed and hes in his cage, and I always make sure he can see me before touching him. I love him very and he is well looked after he is always running around and binking and does normaly come on the couch and cuddle in to me and my other half. This is the first time we have had a problem with him.

:thumb: what a brilliant post, I would copy and save this one ! :D

Heehee, you just made me blush! :oops:

Snuffle munch, it certainly sounds like you're doing the right things. I'd say better get him checked by a vet then, just in case. If all's well health wise it may just be his hormones settling. Good luck with him! :)

He has loads of toy (I buy him new toys every two weeks), my house is covered in cardboard box filled with hay and some turnt up side down so he can hide in them. I sit with him on the floor most of the night (apart from tonight after what he did). His cage is always open apart from when we are in bed and hes in his cage, and I always make sure he can see me before touching him. I love him very and he is well looked after he is always running around and binking and does normaly come on the couch and cuddle in to me and my other half. This is the first time we have had a problem with him.

Then personally the next stop should be a checkup at the vet, assuming he is healthy and there were no exceptional circumstances as mentioned in the post by Hoppit inc smells eg perfume/cigarettes, loud noises etc if you can't get him another one for company I have no idea what to suggest, hopefully some others will come along and be able to suggest something else but, it is out of character as you say yourself so that would suggest a trigger or he something spooked him possibly. Do you have a garden as I see you mention you live in a house?

I had this problem with Blue...a little while back he started nipping for no reason (that I could see) but after a few days we was back to his normal soppy self.
I think he was just having a grumpy day.
Get him checked by the vet though....there maybe something making him unhappy.
What was your friend doing when he bit her? Had she just eaten anything?
Had he met her before? Both of mine have taken a dislike to certain people :roll:

It took our two males a good few weeks to settle after the neuter, so it could just be that he is still a bit anxious and grumpy after that. Being at the vets might have stressed him and if your friend was a stranger he might have worried that he was about to have another unpleasant experience.

Try to remain calm around him. If he is scared and you are nervous, it will just escalate his fears. When you are with him, wear gloves and thick clothing so that if he does go for you, you won't get hurt and you will feel more confident and calm. Feed him small treats and keep interaction on his level. It may also be that it is near Spring. My spayed and neutered rabbits all act a little odd this time of year. They are more jumpy than usual and a little more moody. It usually passes in a month or so. He may just have some residual hormones from before the neuter and then with it being Spring, it just makes it a little worse. Hang in there, I am sure you will have your charming little man back shortly:) {{{Hugs}}}

teddys mummy, thats a very good point. My bun went for me once after I was petting the dog next door. She never did it before or since. She also went for a visitor who had been petting her own dog.
Dog smells must get her riled!:)

teddys mummy, thats a very good point. My bun went for me once after I was petting the dog next door. She never did it before or since. She also went for a visitor who had been petting her own dog.
Dog smells must get her riled!:)

When I'd just got Ted, I'd been to a house with a dog, and when I went home Ted was terrified of the smell of me! Went mental (not biting, just refusing to come out of his base.:()
Now, he couldn't care less about dogs, and has met many in vets before (and will stare them out! :lol::lol:)

It's a thought. A new smell can scare the pants off buns!

Thank you all so much for your advices, hes seems a little more calmer to night put still seem grumpy at us.

No Teddys mummy no i know has a dog. My friend used to keep rabbits and was just sitting on the floor talking to me when just jumped at her (mouth wide open):shock:.

We love im so much and dont want him to hate us x x

what age is he? and is he nuetured? i have a female Petal and she shocked me at how aggressive she could be, she's extremely territorial and if you don't pet her when she wants petted she'll turn on ya. i always talk to her calmly and try not to enter her area without lifting her out first. just stay calm when your around him for it can get upsetting. he doesn't hate you's he's just being a bunny. and agree with everyone else get him checked by the vet. hope he picks up soon.

Back