• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seperating to feed?

Rachel89

Mama Doe
Does anyone do this? Is it ok to do so?

Honeys starting to loose weight again, its abit of a battle anyway to maintain. Shes had a checkup yesterday as she went for her VHD anyway. Nothings wrong shes fine. I know Blue loves his food and he does get in there first, shes getting abit more confident but she hangs back and ends up with left overs....however many piles or bowls I put out.
Would it be okay to seperate them for there pellets and veggies?

I had this problem when Ollie joined us. Rightly or wrongly i actually hand fed them so i knew who was getting what. The began to speed up/slow down and now they eat side by side at more or less the same speed.

I do give Ollie his veg downstairs and Amber's hers upstairs in the mornings though.

I give mine their usual together but leave Lolly in the pen and bring Lionel out for extra food that she can't eat!

I did this for all of Charlie buns life (10 years) cos of his calcium issues. I used to give him and Lavender their pellets together but their veg separately, this meant that as he got older and struggled to keep on weight I could also add oats and nuts into his veg. I used to just to feed on in the dog crate and one out. Lavender used to hop over to me when they'd both finished their veg, although to tell me it was ok to let him out know. :lol:

Lavender now lives with Darwin, and now she struggles to keep on weight (she's getting old) so at the moment I'm just hand feeding her one hazel nut a day which seems to be helping.

I seperate mine cause Blue is a pig :oops: :lol:
Marnie has her pellets in the hutch from a bowl and Blue has his in the kitchen from a treat ball.
Veg I just chuck on the floor......Marnie grabs bits and hides in the tunnel cause Blue can't fit in there.

Back