• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What were you thinking Mrs. Roddick?

Sukibus

Young Bun
I can't believe Anita Roddick sold the Body shop to L'Oreal, a major company that tests its products and ingredients on animals. I know this happened a while back but I only just found out about it a week ago! I always felt good buying stuff from there knowing that all the products were cruelty free but now I'm so sure...

Been going to Lush a lot more now as they are strictly against animal-testing plus their products are more natural instead of just being "inspired by nature". I think they should stick a picture of a a blind rabbit on the back of all the products that have been tested on animals, a bit like them cigarette boxes. That would make people think twice before putting them products into their baskets.

I've been having so much trouble trying to find animal friendly products. Marks and Spencer is good for cosmetics, toiletries and household stuff. Does anyone know any other companies that are animal friendly and the products they specialize in?

Most own branded products are animal friendly,such as sainsburys,superdrug,boots.Yes I felt the same way when I found out about the body shop.

"What were you thinking Mrs. Roddick? "

Yup, she sold out in every way. It was a sad day.... L'Oreal of all companies, I really don't know what she was thinking. :cry:

REN skincare are really good. Not especially cheap, but it's not tested and chemical free... and very lovely. Love the moisturisers!

OMG. i didn`t know anything about this. i don`t know what to say, other than what a complete DIV !!!!!! well Mrs Roddick i hope you are happy with what you have done, and hope you can sleep at night........Oh and annother thing I hope you enjoy spending all of your money NOT !!!!!
:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

OMG. i didn`t know anything about this. i don`t know what to say, other than what a complete DIV !!!!!! well Mrs Roddick i hope you are happy with what you have done, and hope you can sleep at night........Oh and annother thing I hope you enjoy spending all of your money NOT !!!!!
:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:
As much as I dont agree with what she did,she didn't have long spending the money.Poor lady.RIP.:(

Most own branded products are animal friendly,such as sainsburys,superdrug,boots.Yes I felt the same way when I found out about the body shop.

Sainsbury's own brand toiletries and cosmetics are animal friendly as well as Co-op but Superdrug and Boots are not according to my Compassionate Shopping Guide from www.naturewatch.org - they may say "Not tested on animals" but that refers to the finished product, the testing of which is no longer allowed as far as I know.

She could have left a great lagacy but instead sold all those poor animals out by selling to a company known to test on animals. Complete and utter waste.

Sainsbury's own brand toiletries and cosmetics are animal friendly as well as Co-op but Superdrug and Boots are not according to my Compassionate Shopping Guide from www.naturewatch.org - they may say "Not tested on animals" but that refers to the finished product, the testing of which is no longer allowed as far as I know.

Oh god dont tell me that because I use everything of boots from own products to No7.:(

Oh god dont tell me that because I use everything of boots from own products to No7.:(

Sorry but Boots definatley gets a X in the Company Status index which means they do not have a FCOD - Fixed Cut Off Date.

In the where to shop guide it says:-

Boots - While Boots don't have a FCOD for own label items, they do sell skincare from The Organic Pharmacy, Naked bodycare, Fish and Lee Stafford haircare and King of Shaves men's care. Make-up by Barry M, Urban Decay and Hard Candy is available as well as perfumes by Ted Baker and Lee Stafford.

*Boots does encourage its suppliers to suppport development of alternatives, and has publicly supported petitions to prevent the new EU Chemicals regulations providing a back door for the continues testing of cosmetics ingredients on animals. Sadly though Boots don't have a fixed cut off date.

Jergens is one I'm avoiding too - they say they are "Cruelty Free" but are owned by KAO who are definatley not cruelty free - I contacted them and they couldn't tell me what made them "Cruelty Free" and they didn't respond to questions about a FCOD.

I use Fish & Lee Stafford haircare so at least im doing something right.I also use Sainsburys baby oil which I find better than Johnsons,who I was desperatly trying to get away from as I know they test.I heard Nivea & Tresemme dont test,please tell me thats true.

I use Fish & Lee Stafford haircare so at least im doing something right.I also use Sainsburys baby oil which I find better than Johnsons,who I was desperatly trying to get away from as I know they test.I heard Nivea & Tresemme dont test,please tell me thats true.

Sorry, it seems Nivea are part of Beiersdorf and they get a X and so do Tresemme :(

You can get a compassionate shopping guide from Naturewatch for a couple of pounds - I carry mine in my handbag so I can check everything.

Its amazing to see how many products are made by the "giants" Unilever and Prockter and Gamble - won't buy any of those anymore. The most difficult one has been washing powder/Liquid - have to go to the health food store for Clear Spring or a little Co-op in the next town for their own brand - M&S if I have to but their FCOD is much later - but at least they have one.

BUAV say superdrug is cruelty free yet your book says its not,how confusing.I also thought Revlon & Estee Lauder were too.Glad to know Next products are safe,as I live in there!!:lol:

BUAV say superdrug is cruelty free yet your book says its not,how confusing.I also thought Revlon & Estee Lauder were too.Glad to know Next products are safe,as I live in there!!:lol:

OK, had a look in my book and they say of Superdrug "Having dropped their fixed cut off date in favour of a 5 year rolling rule, Superdrug own label products cannot be endorsed. However, Superdrug does sell coulourful cruelty free cosmetics from Barry M, Montagne Jeunesse skincare, Kingfisher toothpase and Ted Baker fragrance.

Sorry Revlon and Estee Lauder are a no go too.

I think the trouble is companies do change their stance and policies - I am reading this from the 11th edition of the Naturewatch Compassionate Shopping Guide - they do say check their website for updates.

I used to love a foundation from Clarins - they used to be cruelty free but not any more so its Dermalogica for me know, luckily a local beauty salon does it.

Naturewatch also follows the policy of the parent company as any money of course ends up in the parent companies pocket.

My latest newsletter from BUAV says that Superdrug own brand has only recently been given the thumbs up, so maybe the other book is not quite up-to-date??

I use Co-op own brand for all my cleaning stuff and M&S for toiletries. :D

Back