• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

quick question, please reply if you know

metacam that has been dispensed from a 'normal bottle' into the bottles they give you to take away, how long are they in date for?. Mine is dated 2009-12-14...... would that still be in date?.

Personally I would not use it if it has been dispensed into another bottle.
Especially if it has had syringes dipped in it when previously used.

In the manufacturers bottle it has a 6 month shelf life

Personally I would not use it if it has been dispensed into another bottle.
Especially if it has had syringes dipped in it when previously used.

In the manufacturers bottle it has a 6 month shelf life

Thankyou for replying. it hasnt been used (was given cause of shauny and his stasis, emergency back up), although it is in one of their bottles (i knew i should have bought the whole one:cry:) Have called the vet, im going out of my mind.

Just had a call from the vets, she said ok to use the meds, i also have ranitadine and metoclopramide.... which one do i give first?. was in such a panic on the phone i didnt think of asking, please help

Are you sure that there is no GI obstruction ?
Metoclopromide is contraindicated if an obstruction is suspected.

Are you sure that there is no GI obstruction ?
Metoclopromide is contraindicated if an obstruction is suspected.

My god no im not sure, my o/h has said that... hes going by the fact she is jumping in the litter tray and ''backing up'' like she is trying to do a poo.....but to me she is just trying to get away from us (we are trying to make her move) this happened with her the night after my shauny had stasis it think on the 9th feb, and she was behaving the same.

Can we give ranitadine and not give the metoclop?. Im feeling her tummy and it does (i think) feel bloated .

How would you know if there was a blockage, is there anything i could see/feel?.

Im in a real panic now:cry:, dont know what to do for the best

She really needs to see a vet who can identify whether it is a blockage. Plenty of fluids until you can see a vet. I hope she ill be OK.

Thankyou for the replies, im in such a state, cant believe this is happening again, my shauny is a stasis bun and it seems lilly is aswell:cry::cry:. We have just given metacam gonna wait 20 mins if no improvement then we are off to the vets:cry:

sending loads of vibes xxxxxx

i have found the metacam alone gets alvin to nibble food then once ive seen poops i then give the metaclop to keep things moving..

im not brave enough to trust my own judgement on a blockage and the vets are confident enough that Alvin is prone that i can just put the drugs into him.. but im really wary of the gut stuff, it seems to unnatural, yet so life saving.

really hope the metacam gets her more comfortable so she feels ok to eat and poop again xxxxx

Back