• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Help needed

Hi All,

First time here, regular poster at another forum however that forum has gone quiet.

Rocker is 4 years old, around 7 months ago he started to pee outside his pan and i noticed him starting to struggle with his back legs. the vet did some xrays and nothing was found.

this has started to get worse, not laying down as much, when he does lay down he has both his back legs stretched out to the side. i took him to the vet last week and she says he has lost the muscles in his thighs, she gave him a steroid injection but tonight he doesnt seem able to walk without his back legs falling to the left. the vet said she would look into a nerve problem if the steroid doesnt work but i am really worried.

has anyone had any similar experiences ?

Rob

:wave: Welcome, sorry you are not joining under the best circumstances (which is how a lot of us find this site).

This is my recent experience:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=217253&highlight=homer

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=216957&highlight=homer

My bun is currently on a low dose of metacam for inflammation and we have some emergency vetergesic for pain. He goes back to see our vet next week, but for now he is eating very well and hopping around. The leg thing is only when he is sat down. If necessary I will be looking into acupuncture and bunny chiropractor.

I hope Rocker will be OK.

sorry i don't have any advice to offer as not experienced anything like this but was just wondering how Rocker was doing.
I remember him form my bunny mad magazine and know he means alot to you.

This happened to my miffy rabbit and it turned out to be arthritis but she was much, much older (and a chubby bun too, she used to eat walls)

She was ok being disabled just ment she had to rely on us to pick her up out of the cage and put her in etc and we had to bath her twice a day too so she didn't develop sores and she was very happy like this for nearly a year before it got her down or started to hurt her. I don't think this is what your bun will have at that age (you can see it coming like you would in a human, gradually getting more stiffer) but it does show that they can still be happy if this eventually does happen. See below...Miffy nicking tissues. This was about 3 months before we had her pts. She still had he devil in her!!

n507658776_712198_251.jpg

Back