• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about Flies and Flystrike

VickiP

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: Hi I have been outside with my doe this afternoon and when she went back in and through to her run I gave her a little fenugreek crunchie, as she was eating it she dropped it and I saw what I thought was a spider, on looking closer it was a half dead fly - large one like a blue bottle type - anyway she had been in and out all day but, had been sat in the hay in the tray which is actually huge and she doesn't use it as a litter tray it's just hay which she tends to push to one side anyway. Earlier today as it was so nice I let Gizmo out and she was digging in the tray (which she does sometimes) but, now I am wondering if she was trying to kill the fly. Its dead now but, what if it laid eggs? What am I looking for at an early stage, would it affect a clean rabbit, she is dry and clean underneath and I can't see anything but, I am paranoid I have missed an egg and it will hatch into a maggot or something overnight, she is totally normal and fine in herself binkies galore but has anyone got any tips pleeeease x

I would comb her through and if flies are out in your area start rear guarding her to stop you worrying, not really much to look for if you cant see any eggs then shes probably alright.
Any bun can get flystrike although it tends to be smelly ones or unhealthy ones but even kids with sticky hands stroking bun can attract flies.

Once the fly lays egg it takes as little as 6 hours for it to hatch into maggots a lot of people dont believe in rear guard but my last bun died of flysrike and its awful so id raher take risk with the chemicles than ever watch that awful thing again.
If you did spot maggots then never wash them off try and pick them off and get straight to vet who will then shave and cut away the top layer of skin to ensure no maggots have ate/burrowed into the skin.
Make sure hutch and the tray you mention gets a good clean out incase there is any eggs. As if buns in house the warmth could hatch the eggs although outside at night any eggs would be killed due to frost.

I doubt it will come to anything though!

Thanks so much for your reply, I have just been googling it, not a pretty sight at all, they say that behaviour can either be really hunched and not wanting to move or really restless trying to attack rear end etc She seemed clean in all honesty and is behaving normally but, I am just paranoid about that sort of thing, I detest bloody flies - this one was buzzing round on it's back so hopefully wouldn't have had chance to lay eggs urghhhhhh I will do that give her a another check and a bit of brush and wipe down in an hour or so and I will probably end up checking her all night :roll:, it's hopefully just me being paranoid :? Found this video which is awful but, educational too
http://www.howcast.com/videos/20006-Fly-Strike-in-Rabbits-1-Symptoms-and-Treatment
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...6tTvDA&usg=AFQjCNGxasUBiyDAq_PEWhz5tP3f4nZO2A

She was fine, cleaned out tray to be on safe side and had a good check all clear, just me being neurotic thankfully :roll::lol:

Last edited:
Back