• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Marge is drooling :/

georgie_f

Mama Doe
I have an elderly RSPCA bun called Marge, over the last few days I've noticed her nose has been ever so slightly wet and today I got her out with the intention of having a look at her front teeth - she's actually drooling out of one side of her mouth and has a wet patch under her chin. I hadn't noticed this before because she's a bit of a beefcake and it was hidden by her dewlap.

I'm guessing this is dental related, although she's been 100% healthy ever since I've had her.

Marge is about nine now, she's pretty fat around her tummy and has a big dewlap but her back is skinny and I can feel her spine. She's been like this for the last couple of years, the vet has said it's age related.

I was just posting to find out what opinions are on getting an old bunny knocked out to have her teeth looked at? Or if anyone can suggest anything else it may be?!

I'm going to get a vet appointment tomorrow but as I've already posted several times, my vet is rubbish! :lol: I kind of like to go armed with some RU information! :wave:

Yeah, I'd definitely agree that it's probably a dental thing. What does her spit smell like? Gruesome question I know but I'd have thought at her age dental disease is more likely that malocclusion problems. How chillaxed is she? Would she let a vet take a look with an otoscope while she's conscious?

I didn't notice it smelling. I can't say made a point of sniffing her, but I had a close look at her front teeth so I guess I would have noticed. She's a bit of a grumpy bun but luckily she's also very lazy so will growl but can't be ar**d to lunge or anything! :lol: I shouldn't think she'd mind the vet having a look in her mouth too much. I'm a bit worried about taking her to the vet as she's so old. :oops:

I told my mum and she wondered if she might of had a stroke :?

I've just been and given her a nose rub and some broccoli - she seems quite chirpy still :)

I didn't notice it smelling. I can't say made a point of sniffing her, but I had a close look at her front teeth so I guess I would have noticed. She's a bit of a grumpy bun but luckily she's also very lazy so will growl but can't be ar**d to lunge or anything! :lol: I shouldn't think she'd mind the vet having a look in her mouth too much. I'm a bit worried about taking her to the vet as she's so old. :oops:

I told my mum and she wondered if she might of had a stroke :?

I've just been and given her a nose rub and some broccoli - she seems quite chirpy still :)

ETA - when I looked, her front teeth look perfect so it must be the back ones if it is a teeth related problem.

And I hit the qoute button instead of edit! :roll:

It could be her back teeth - both my boys get molar spurs. A stroke could be a possibilty too I suppose, although I've never heard of this in a bun. When you look at her mouth does it seem lopsided? Is she hopping around normally?

It's akward if you don't think she'd cope with the vet trip -it sounds like she needs to be looked at. It's a long shot I know but are there any local rabbit rescues? It's possible they have an otoscope and would come out to have a look at her, for a small donation? That at least would rule out or confirm dental problems, and you'd be able to take it from there.

I think she'd be ok going to the vet for just a check up, it's if she'd have to be knocked out that I'd really worry, or if there were any barky dogs - she hates dogs! I wonder if she had a dog related incident before I got her.

She is hopping around. As she's got older, she's started to move around less. Her and Barley have a two tier hutch and it took me ages to convince her to go up and down the ramp. She does it herself now but she does it very slowly. I guess her joints are getting worn out. The poor decrepid old thing! :lol:

She's always been a big eater and is eating fine. Her face/mouth looks the same as always, no lopsidedness. It's kind of hard to tell with Marge if she's happy as she's always been a very hormonal grouchy rabbit (I love her attitude, she has me in stitches most days!). I think I really need to start worrying if she stops growling at me! :lol:

Oh, and we had a rabbit rescue but the lady has just packed it in. I'm not sure she'd be able to help anyway - she didn't seem too clued up about bunnies, she fed them cat biscuits! :?

Back