• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-seed or lay turf???

:wave:Now the Spring is here at last I'm going to re-seed the grass in my bunnies run. They have been wintered on the patio and have grass pulled for them every day. Just a quick question, which type of grass seed is best. Or, is it ok for me to buy turfs and just lay them in the run. There are loads of different seeds in the shops and I really need to know the main ones to avoid and which are the best. It is only for their run (8' x 4') and not for the main lawn.:D

personally I re-turf. Seed takes ages especially if its in a constant fight with rabbits who want to eat it. Also there is the potential for some of the sharper ended seeds to get in fur and feet and even between teeth.

Just wash the turf down a few times with a hose before letting them on it as it will have fertiliser on.

Yes if they are still using the run I would returf it and wash it with lots of water. If they aren't using it just use a general cheap lawn grass seed from wilkinsons. I grow trays and pots and it's fine :)

Nothing to add but just wanted to say I agree with the others :wave: If you re-plant the seeds it takes forever, not good with hungry buns :lol:

Deffo re-turf. I usually re-do my rabbit run every spring as it gets very muddy in places over the winter.

Glad I read this! I was just wondering that myself. My buns are mainly on paving but I've lifted a slab to put into grass for them. Turf will be much easier - will wash it well.

Back