• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I regret getting pet shop buns...

Hessen

Banned
I really do, after reading some of the tragic and some of the fantastic stories on here I so wish I had got rescue buns.

Seeing updates and stories from people who look after so many poorly rescue friends I know that I could and should have done that. As much as I love Rum & Raisin I could have given my home and love to a pair of buns that really needed it.

I actually discussed rehoming them so we could take in some rescues instead, but wifey is too attached.

If only I'd found RU sooner :(

I feel the same, we got bob from a friend whos buns had an accidental litter, she thought she has two boys:shock:... They really well looked after bunnies though. :)

Pleased to say though Mis Bob will be taking a trip to a rescue soon to find the love of her life:love:

At least YOU bought Rum and Raisin tho, and not someone who can't care for them as well:D

I really do, after reading some of the tragic and some of the fantastic stories on here I so wish I had got rescue buns.

Seeing updates and stories from people who look after so many poorly rescue friends I know that I could and should have done that. As much as I love Rum & Raisin I could have given my home and love to a pair of buns that really needed it.

I actually discussed rehoming them so we could take in some rescues instead, but wifey is too attached.

If only I'd found RU sooner :(

You couldnt be that mean??! Rimmi came from a breeder but I am not getting rid of him!! Lol. Maybe just use your new knowledge for the future. :thumb:

If you look at it this way though guys, probably a good 50% of pet shop buns end up unwanted and abandoned. All you did was cut out the middle man! Don't get me wrong, I'm not condonning pet shops - I think it's disgusting the way they hand out lives as though they were sweets. :evil: I'm just saying that at least for those individual buns you've got life is a whole lot sweeter than what it might have been.

Hey, don't feel guilty!! They are with you now, and can you 100% truly say they would have led a better life with someone else if they didn't go to you??? I got my first giant bun from a breeder, and even though I found out about rescues after I got her, I will never regret getting her. She shared the best 13 months with me, and they were memories I won't forget. :) In the future I will go for a rescue, but just because they are pet shop buns doesn't mean they don't deserve the love any less.

Don't think of the past, because what's done is done. Think of the future now and think that now that you know about rescues, what can you do to help? :wave:

Charlie's a pet shop bun, and I'm quite glad I did get him from a pet shop because he was so young when I got him, we have a brilliant bond.
I'd only ever go for rescues now, but I don't regret Charlie

i wouldnt feel guilty at all. im sure they have a wonderful life! just think you have rescued them from someone else who wouldnt be so nice.

i bought tilly from pets at home, purely because i had no idea you could rescue rabbits! since being on here i rescued his sister (not wife, they are both my babies... and they are not mature enough to be in such a commited relationship..) from a rescue centre. (i didnt rescue her from the centre lol)

dont feel bad, you will know next time!

xx

My current rabbits are all rescue bunnies. My previous two were not. I don't regret having those first two, or getting them as I did, and wouldn't regret getting any of my current six had I purchased any of them from a pet shop.

I can understand why people who come here and are converted might adopt that view, but for me personally, I find them all equally deserving of a home. :) Having gotten them from a pet shop you've given them a good home and ensured they'll never end up in a rescue in an appalling state at the hands of some neglectful owner.

I don't think I'd feel guilty or feel I had to excuse/explain myself on here if I went out today, fell in love with a pet shop bun, and brought him/her home, though. :) I'd love him or her just the same and wouldn't feel I was denying a more deserving bun a place in my home - they're all equally deserving.

Hey, don't feel guilty!! They are with you now, and can you 100% truly say they would have led a better life with someone else if they didn't go to you??? I got my first giant bun from a breeder, and even though I found out about rescues after I got her, I will never regret getting her. She shared the best 13 months with me, and they were memories I won't forget. :) In the future I will go for a rescue, but just because they are pet shop buns doesn't mean they don't deserve the love any less.

Don't think of the past, because what's done is done. Think of the future now and think that now that you know about rescues, what can you do to help? :wave:

:thumb: I agree, my first doe was a sort of rescue that I adopted and Gizmo was a PAH bunny the runt, who's to say if I hadn't taken him what would have happened? He may well have ended up in a rescue if he'd lived that long - same as your two they may well have endured a horrible pillar to post scenario before ending up in a rescue at some point-who knows. Its all a learning curve, my doe now Ness is a sort of a rescue - I think it's fate and just living and learning and then doing better next time, you really have no reason to feel bad at all. I don't know how you could even contemplate getting rid of Rum and Raison. :?

i just regret getting bunnies :oops:

:cry:

Flynn came from a pet shop, and when i look at everything he has been through, i am relieved i got him. :cry:After all his health issues over the years, had he gone to a home which was not experienced, he would not have made it to this point. I think a lot of us have gone to pet shops and breeders before finding out about rescue, or simply falling into temptation of cute bunnies. Dont beat yourself up about it, they have a lovely home and thats the most important bit.

There is no need to feel bad! You don't know, what you don't know... and you know where to get your bunnies from in future. :D

I had five pet shop bunnies, before I found out about rescues. My second is now my oldest bunny at 11 years old - and I don't regret one little bit for getting him, eventhough he is from a pet shop. He is the most amazing rabbit with the best possible temperament... I could never regret getting him (or the other four bunnies at the time).

But of course, for the last 8 years, all my bunnies have been from rescue and always will be in future. :D

Vera

So you are prepared to make your own bunnies rescue bunnies, just to rescue some other bunnies? I don't think that would make much sense at all! Look at it this way, at least you prevented your current bunnies from becoming rescue bunnies too... something that they will always be grateful for. ;)

Vera

I've just looked at the website for the shop where we got our pets (http://www.paradisepetsswindon.co.uk/)

Looks like they breed their own stock...

Have to say the level of "expert knowledge" we got from them when we bought Rum & Raisin was awfully minimal.

Yes why doesn't that surprise me, funny how people who think they can mate two animals and produce babies are suddenly experts when thats the extent of their knowledge a lot of the time.:roll:

I really wouldn't feel bad, my first 5 bunnies were pet shop buns and i have never once felt bad for having them. All of mine are now rescues bar one and she's from an accidental litter we had 6 years ago before i knew any better.

Back