• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fed up of "rabbit stew" such a cliche

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Ugh.. woman at work is "agonising" over her recipe for rabbit stew tonight.. cider, thyme, bay leaves... UGH!

I have told her I have pet bunnies too, but I think she's forgotten and is using it as a conversation starter to try and get me talking..

that's the LAST thing that will get me talking!

:evil::evil::evil:

Has she got kids?

Suggest she adds them to the recipe. You can always go on to describe the cutting & chopping process.

You should tell her that most rabbits caught for food have myxi and it can cause human health problems if eaten - total lie, but hey ho!

just tell her to look on the BBC website for a recipe because you find cooking as thrilling as sticking pins in your eyes ;)

look up some cases of cannibalism and talk about them in detail. or talk about dogs sold for eating in some parts of the world. she probably knows perfectly well that you have rabbits, and is just a bully.

Glad Im not the only one suffering ignorant work colleagues. The guy I sit next to informed me he ran over a rabbit on his way to work. He got out to check it was dead and as there wasnt much damage he picked it up to have for his dinner tonight :shock: Some people are so incredibly insensitive!!!

People never really get inventive with these things. Stew, pie...

Just keep quiet and offer a condescending smile if she addresses you directly and you have to reply. People just want a reaction.

We get it all the time when we do boot sales..some clever bloke will stand in front of our stall and start saying he likes rabbit stew:roll:
We have found that the best way to deal with them is to say something like
" well you couldn't eat ours cos they are vaccinated but if you like rabbit to eat try it with cream and garlic "..it throws them and they usually walk off as haven't got the response they were looking for:roll:

I had this when I took Bobby to the vet in the taxi. The driver was an idiot talkin about pie. :roll: Not nice when I am on my way to the vet and he knows it

I always answer people by saying lop eared rabbits are better as their ears don't stick out of the pastry.

Glad Im not the only one suffering ignorant work colleagues. The guy I sit next to informed me he ran over a rabbit on his way to work. He got out to check it was dead and as there wasn't much damage he picked it up to have for his dinner tonight :shock: Some people are so incredibly insensitive!!!

I would have told him it's illegal (true) to run over an animal and then take it to eat yourself.

Personally I couldn't care less when people make comments, I either ignore them or if I'm quick enough get a witty reply in that soon shuts them up!

mine too. he also told me that as a young boy in italy he had eaten sparrows and robins, baked in potatoes, which he said were very tasty. i asked him if he came from the south of italy. he was surprised, said yes, and how did i know. i said we'd been taught about the absolute poverty of the area when i was at school (true - economic geography in the 1970s). i certainly wouldn't have said such a thing if he hadn't wanted to cook my rabbits!

I had this is the Vets when I'd taken in poorly Spike. It was obvious I was a caring owner as I was sitting there quite tearful so why this old codger thought it was OK to say he'd got a good recipe for rabbit after asking what I'd got, was beyond me. It was on the tip of my tongue to say "and I've got a one-way ticket to Korea for your dog" but I didn't...

The look I shot him must have spoke volumes though as he sat looking contrite until he went in for his consult.

I had this is the Vets when I'd taken in poorly Spike. It was obvious I was a caring owner as I was sitting there quite tearful so why this old codger thought it was OK to say he'd got a good recipe for rabbit after asking what I'd got, was beyond me. It was on the tip of my tongue to say "and I've got a one-way ticket to Korea for your dog" but I didn't...

The look I shot him must have spoke volumes though as he sat looking contrite until he went in for his consult.

You should have said thanks, but he's not much of a cook - seeing how he doesn't have opposable thumbs and can't hold a saucepan! (he'd probably have been to thick to get it though).

You should have said thanks, but he's not much of a cook - seeing how he doesn't have opposable thumbs and can't hold a saucepan! (he'd probably have been to thick to get it though).

:lol::lol:... I do hate in when people still say things even though they clearly know how much you love your Buns... Just makes me angry my OH family were taking the mickey out of me because I was so nervous about getting the phone call from the vets after Bobby's spay

I still get it from the "lads" at work any time I mention the buns, it's blatantly not cool for a 28 year old male officer worker to love a small cuddly creature so it's constant stew and pie jokes.

I still get it from the "lads" at work any time I mention the buns, it's blatantly not cool for a 28 year old male officer worker to love a small cuddly creature so it's constant stew and pie jokes.
Yep Ian gets that all the time... its worse for him, as it was him that chose to adopt a baby bunny for me :D

Back