• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Smurf got trapped. Crisis over!

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
I went in to the rabbit room today and couldn't find one of the babies, the smallest one Smurf. Eventually discovered him/her trapped between the guinea pig cage and a run propped up against the wall in the rabbit room. He/she was in an arkward position. Must have scrambled down and got stuck. When I picked him/her how the poor little thing looked worn out. I don't know how long Smurf has been trapped. Possibly all night? :shock:

I put him/her with the others and mummy who were eating after a short while Smurf tried to get to the bowl but was trying not to put any weight on his/her back leg. I have put him/her in an open pet carrier with hay food and water and I did see him/her nibbling.

The leg is not stuck out in a strange way or anything, I am wondering if it just got twisted orsomething as Smurf tried to struggle free? I have some Metacam but do not know the dosage for such a tiny one. I am going to check on him/her later to see ifthimgs have improved.

I feel so guilty for leaving the stupid run there so the baby could get trapped :( this poor little one. All the babies were doing so well.

Last edited:
Is he old enough to be separated from mummy bun to go to a vet? -sue:wave:

or maybe they should all go to vet together?- I don't know much about baby bunnies sorry.

Awww, poor Smurf. :cry::cry::cry: Try not to feel guilty - I felt exactly the same way when Alfie dislocated his ankle a couple of weeks ago but I've come to realise that it was just an awful accident, as is this.

Has Smurf been eating or anything since? Hopefully he/she is just worn out from the whole thing but if things still don't seem right with the leg in a while I would get it checked. Alfie's leg didn't look too badly hurt when he did it, but it's not always easy to tell by looking - as I say, chances are Smurf is fine, but just something to bear in mind. ;)

maybe hes strained it abit.
when my housemates had babies a year ago, she accidentaly sat on one! his back legs went all floppy and couldnt walk, we rushed him to the vets and by the time we got him there he was hopping about all over the place! scared us silly! the vet did laugh!
x

Yes Smurf has eaten. I didn't want to immediately rush to the vets as sometimes the stress of a car journey and the vet experience does more harm than good. My vets are open until 6.30pm this evening so I am going to let Smurf rest and check about 4.00pm.

I didn't want to immediately rush to the vets as sometimes the stress of a car journey and the vet experience does more harm than good.

That's very true. If he's eating, that's a good sign. Maybe he's just a little bit stiff from being squished - let us know how he's doing later. :) If you ring the vet, they may be able to advise you over the phone if Smurf can have metacam in the meantime. ;)

Poor little chap/chapess! Its amazing the little holes and tricky places they have to investigate! I hope he/she makes a speedy recovery after his/her little adventure, a bit of rest and food will hopefully sort him/her out! He'll/she'll look like a proper Smurf (great name BTW) if he/she has to have any of the blue dye that Alfie did! Urm.. at what age can they be sexed there's a lot of he'll/she'll going on!!

Just been to check on Smurf as i couldn't wait until 4pm. Glad I did Smurf is fine and running with the pack again! Have checked him/her over too and everything seems OK :roll:

Brindle says Smurf was just in shock about getting stuck

I think sexing and seperating is around 14 weeks. Need to check on babies birth date, they must be around 4 weeks now?

Yay 'go Smurf go Smurf' :D Little rascal hopefully he/she will have lost the urge for more adventures for a while! 14 weeks!! The Dudster was doing his crazy love machine act well before then and they had to be separated until after new turds and sprayings! :lol: I thought in some cases the deed can be done around 12 weeks :shock:

Phew! So glad he's ok!

A couple of years ago I went out to the shed in the morning as usual, and could only see Pickles. Ginger's a greedy little piglet and usually shoves his head out of the door as soon as it opens. I completely panicked thinking he'd been stolen or something, but when I looked at the gap behind the storage chest I found he was trapped! It was only a very narrow gap, but he must have slipped and got wedged down there. He was completely stuck with his head bent back and his eyes all glazed - it gave me a terrible shock. I think he must have been down there a while because he was really cold, and there was loads of mess beneath him. He was hopping oddly for half an hour or so, but he was soon back to his old self.

Sorry, I realise you didn't ask to hear that story! :oops::lol: All I mean to say is that these things happen, and it's not your fault. It's not as though you deliberately left it to trap him! Anyway, all's well that ends well! :D

Phew! So glad he's ok!

A couple of years ago I went out to the shed in the morning as usual, and could only see Pickles. Ginger's a greedy little piglet and usually shoves his head out of the door as soon as it opens. I completely panicked thinking he'd been stolen or something, but when I looked at the gap behind the storage chest I found he was trapped! It was only a very narrow gap, but he must have slipped and got wedged down there. He was completely stuck with his head bent back and his eyes all glazed - it gave me a terrible shock. I think he must have been down there a while because he was really cold, and there was loads of mess beneath him. He was hopping oddly for half an hour or so, but he was soon back to his old self.

Sorry, I realise you didn't ask to hear that story! :oops::lol: All I mean to say is that these things happen, and it's not your fault. It's not as though you deliberately left it to trap him! Anyway, all's well that ends well! :D

It's always good to hear about other experiences.

And Dudley :shock::shock::shock: you love machine :lol:

And Dudley :shock::shock::shock: you love machine :lol:

:lol: Im sure when he buzzes Daisy it's to the tune of 'let's get in on' :lol: apart from the other day when he was in 'full swing' and nomming a long piece of hay at the same time :lol: Daisy was not amused!!

Back