• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question.....

HoppingBinky

Mama Doe
My bun has been brought inside as he has snuffles, tho they seem to clearing
up. He has no white discharge and is'nt sneezing as much. I'm still treating him with Baytril until i'm fully sure he ok.He looks really fed up tho and i wondered if it would be ok to put his indoor cage outside for 2-3 hours so he can get some fresh air (he's always been an outdoor bun). He does have plenty of blankets in there with him as he's old (9) and thin. The only thing is we have pidgeons hanging around as next door feed them:censored:.Would he be ok? Or shall i not risk it at the moment?

i think it would be ok, aslong as he has supervision too,
some freshair might do him some good :)
Is it a nice day? make sure it isnt too cold out :wave:

i would just like to say i havent experienced snuffles, so i am sorry if im wrong.

a good dose of fresh air and and a change of scene will do him good, pleanty of bedding etc and i think he would be fine, have no idea about pidgeons, but i personally wouldnt worry.

xxx

He will be fine with the birds, my three sit on the grass watching the birds on the bird table :lol:
Probably wondering how they get up there :lol:

I don't know what temperature it is where you are, but where I am it's bloody freezing, I wouldn't even consider it if he is being kept indoors and still recovering. At the moment it's more than 15 degrees colder outside than inside.

I decided not to let him out in the end as i was'nt sure about the temperature. But at what stage can i let him outside for a run? He's hopping around the house and seems a little better but not sure when he can be returned to his hutch. I'm still not sure if i should destroy it or buy a new one. His brother had this hutch before him and had snuffles but sadly i lost him.I did disinfect it before Malone moved in, but i don't want him to get worse as soon as i put him back in the hutch.
What would you do? All advice taken on board.:)

Firstly, just wanted to say that pigeons, contrary to popular belief, do not spread disease and are not any more dirty than any other garden bird. I have a little flock of pet fancy pigeons and unavoidably, my buns have contact with them. Nothing bad has ever happened (well, one gets pooed on occasionally :lol:).

I realise most people don't like pigeons and think they're pests. I've quickly come to realise most people's opinions of them are different to mine! :lol: I just wanted to set your mind at ease about them getting near bunny.

I don't know much about snuffles, I've never had any experience of it thankfully. But my buns that have had other illnesses have always perked up a bit after a run in the sunshine :) Could you take bunny out and supervise him? Even if it's just for ten minutes?!

Thanks Georgie_f, i think i might try that.:D. Thanks to for putting my mind at rest as some of the pidgeons like to thief food of the buns.
I hope it's a nice day tomorrow.:D

Last edited:
Ahhh, I know those food pinching pigeons well....

Leaving Thistle's shed door open always has it's perils! :lol:

Just make sure you clean up any pigeon poops that may fall in your bunnies bowl as obviously he's not going to want to eat that! :lol:

I have a bun suffering from e.cuniculi at the moment and she's been really down in the dumps as she's been stuck in an indoor cage in the shed for her own safety (she's very wobbly on her feet). I popped her out in the run for half an hour today and she really cheered up whilst she was out there. She wasn't too happy to go back in her cage though, bless her!

Back