• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

two male rabbit maiting

Neuter is pretty much it.

Pretty soon, one will start to get fed up, they will fight & it will result in injury. Might make it hard to re-bond then too.

They need to be neutered ASAP.

Humping is a way for them to show dominance over each other. It will lead to fights and can lead to very nasty injuries.

If you look underneath and can see their testicles then they can be neutered. It is only a small operation for a boy, the risks are low and it will make them into happier buns.

Yep agree I'm afraid!! Ideally have them both neutered at the same time so they can recover together, will make it much less stressful for them. However, If they are not neutered they will start to fight and one if not both be injured. I assume you were told about castration where ever you got them from?

Defintately need neutering, otherwise they will end up having a big fight and you'll end up paying more on an operation to get the wounds sorted than you would a neuter :) xXx

only neutering will stop it. If you dont neuter and leave them together the humping will increase until it becomes full on fighting. They can do a hell of alot of damage to each other, even life threatening.

I think everyone has pretty much said it all.

Why do you not want to neuter your rabbits? Not only does it stop unwanted behaviour such as fighting, it also helps you bun become calmer and happier.

There are pictures and stories on here of rabbits fighting. Rabbits go straight for the genitals when seriously fighting leaving damage and infection that can get out of control. When fighting for dominance, bites can get infected, causing serious problems in rabbits, which could lead to death. Stress on rabbits can also lead to gut stasis, where a rabbit doesn't eat drink or poop, which again is very serious for a rabbit. All these will result in vets bills much higher than the average neuter.

I really hope you reconsider getting them done. Tends to only cost £50 each at Companion care (pets at home), and you will have much happier pets. If you get them done together you will not have to seperate for too long, where as if you do one then the other their time away from each other means you will have to re bond them on neutral territory to prevent more fights.

Last edited:
Agree with all of the above, they will be much better in the long run , and boys recover easily:wave:... it also means that they won't spray when they get sexually mature

Back