• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
I went to the vets today to pick up some panacur and mentioned to the nurse on the desk about having Bailey Spayed as id been advised it was pretty much a garantee that she would develop uterine cancer by the age of 5 if i didnt, the nurse said she hadnt heard of this and only would suggest spaying if Bailey was living with a male, and even then it would be better to neuter the male instead of bailey, i then asked how many spays they had done and she said to her memory only 2!!! i didnt speak to the vet and i dont know if this nurse is new or what, but i was all set on getting bailey spayed and now im doubting the decision again and am definletley doubting going to that vet if the nurse was right and only 2 spays have been done in the past few years!! just wonderd what you all thought i guess, thanks x

Oh dear:shock:! I would definitely speak to the vet about this, as they'll be able to give you a more accurate picture of what they:shock: personally thnk and their experience.
It is worth getting your bunny spayed, you're right. For behavioural as well as health reasons.
If your vet doesn't have a lot of experience, someone on here will be able to recommend a good vet near to you, I'm sure.

I went to the vets today to pick up some panacur and mentioned to the nurse on the desk about having Bailey Spayed as id been advised it was pretty much a garantee that she would develop uterine cancer by the age of 5 if i didnt, the nurse said she hadnt heard of this and only would suggest spaying if Bailey was living with a male, and even then it would be better to neuter the male instead of bailey, i then asked how many spays they had done and she said to her memory only 2!!! i didnt speak to the vet and i dont know if this nurse is new or what, but i was all set on getting bailey spayed and now im doubting the decision again and am definletley doubting going to that vet if the nurse was right and only 2 spays have been done in the past few years!! just wonderd what you all thought i guess, thanks x

You should definitely get her spayed - for health reasons and so that she could possibly live with another bun. You may find that once her hormones start kicking in, she can become territorial and/or aggressive (as mine did), so spaying will help prevent this too.

I would double check with the vet - if they genuinely have only done two spays in the past couple of years, I strongly suggest finding another vets elsewhere.

Hope this helps x

Well I guess if they don't advise people to have their does spayed they won't do many. I'd get a recommendation to a more rabbit savvy vet in your area from someone on here if I were you.

Back