• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Impaction?

Isis

Mama Doe
My boss' daughter's rabbit, sounds like he has impaction. I don't know much about this rabbit other then he has free run of her garden. I am not sure what they feed it, other then he likes burnt toast in the morning :? And has done since he was a kit. I am hoping that I will get to see this rabbit tomorrow, is there anything that I need to know? Should he go to the vets?

The rabbit, is very vascious (sp) and doesn't like to be handled or touched.

Hi

Impaction is very serious if it effects the rabbit's behaviour. It can cause stasis and if not treated very early on can sometimes result in an operation to open the stomach if other less invasive treatments are not working.

Why do you think it's impaction?

If the bunny is not eating/pooing etc but has had access to the grass it could even be bloat if the tummy is 'tight' and the rabbit is in discomfort/not eating.

In both cases the rabbit should be seen asap (i.e. tonight).

Hope you can help your friend.

It has a lot of built up poo around his bum.

I have been told that his behaviour has always been like that.

From the sounds of it he needs to see a vet tonight. Impactions/stasis/bloat can all be very serious and can kill in hours depending on how serious it is. Only a qualified vet can asses what is causing the stasis (I'm assuming the symptoms are non eating and pooping, quiet and witdrawn etc) and the appropriate treatement. If an blockage is suspected then the usual treatement for stasis are not appropriate so it is not a good idea to try and home medicate.

ahh ok you mean a sticky bum/dried poo on the outside rather than a blockage in their digestive tract?

if so hay hay hay hay hay
reduced access to pellets, veg and grass
Probiotics in the water - can be got from any pets at home.
Diet if they are too podgy to clean themsleves properly

the poo can be washed off with warm water or cut off for really bad bits. trimming or shaving the area will help.
we are coming up to flystrike season so they need to get on top of it now.
If they can't get on top of it then he will need to be treated with reargard to prevent fly strike.

If by build up of poo you mean attached to the outside, then it is most likely diet related (not enough fibre/too much protein/too much fruit/veg or fresh grass when not used to it) but it could be dental or EC or any number of other things. When a bun comes in here and has a mucky bum or caked in dried poo, the first thing I would ask is what is the rabbit being fed. Is it well in itself - in other words bright, eating, drinking, not straining to wee, not lethargic. If all of this is good, then it's normally remedied with an adjustment in diet.

If you mean a build up of poo inside the rabbit, then there may well be a blockage and this must be seen straight away. Apart from the pain, some buns can go into shock if they are blocked up. Impaction can need fluid therapy and other meds so not something your boss can deal with at home.

Thank you.

I've only seen a few photos of impaction and don't really know what I am actually looking at. I will have a look, hopefully at the rabbit tomorrow. Think it might be just sticky bum, by the sounds of it.

ahh ok you mean a sticky bum/dried poo on the outside rather than a blockage in their digestive tract?

if so hay hay hay hay hay
reduced access to pellets, veg and grass
Probiotics in the water - can be got from any pets at home.
Diet if they are too podgy to clean themsleves properly

the poo can be washed off with warm water or cut off for really bad bits. trimming or shaving the area will help.
we are coming up to flystrike season so they need to get on top of it now.
If they can't get on top of it then he will need to be treated with reargard to prevent fly strike.

Snap!

Thank you.

I've only seen a few photos of impaction and don't really know what I am actually looking at. I will have a look, hopefully at the rabbit tomorrow. Think it might be just sticky bum, by the sounds of it.

You won't see anything with impaction as it's inside the stomach. A vet or very, very experienced carer will be able to feel impaction - this should not be tried at home by an unexperienced person as if it is impaction the rabbit can be in serious pain and damage could also be caused by 'squeezing' - not recommended. I know a fair bit about bunnies but I could not tell you how to feel for impaction and wouldn't want to - if in doubt I go to the vets.

Back