• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick E.C check

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I'm confused by all the debate on here...

I gave Ralph a 9 day course of Panacur about 4 months ago. I want to do the same for Ruby and Ralph but I'm hearing conflicting advice.

What should I do?

Does too much panacuring mean that they are immune to it if they ever get EC?

This will start another endless debate as there isnt yet a definitive answer...

i'd say, if none of them have had EC, or been in contact with EC buns, then they each need 9 days panacur every 6months.

and no, they're no immune, its not like a vaccination. it should reduce the numbers of EC organisms so they dont reach large enough numbers to cause disease....but it doesnt always work......

Last edited:
This will start another endless debate as there isnt yet a definitive answer...

i'd say, if none of them have had EC, or been in contact with EC buns, then they each need 9 days panacur every 6months.

and no, they're no immune, its not like a vaccination. it should reduce the numbers of EC organisms so they dont reach large enough numbers to cause disease....but it doesnt always work......

My vet still advises this too but i got caught up in a debate the other day so got confused :? Our vet is aware of different advice going around at the moment, but still had advised the 9 day course every 6 months :)

i think the main debate comes for "in contact" rabbits and treatment lengths for confirmed cases.

IMO treatment is more about anti-inflammatories and supportive therapy as the first week of therapy will kill off the protozoa if its going to work at all, but some people advocate 3,6,8,9 weeks therapy....

i was advised on here after a bit of debate across a few threads to do a one off 28 day course and then never again unless my bunn comes in to contact with other rabbits... doing the 28 day course wont do any harm; i was told the 9day course 4 times a year is just a bit of a money maker scheme...but tbh im just as confused on the subject as every1 else seems to be ...

i was advised on here after a bit of debate across a few threads to do a one off 28 day course and then never again unless my bunn comes in to contact with other rabbits... doing the 28 day course wont do any harm; i was told the 9day course 4 times a year is just a bit of a money maker scheme...but tbh im just as confused on the subject as every1 else seems to be ...

I was led to believe- the 9 day course is for worming only
28 days if in contact with EC
6 weeks if symptomatic [plus anti-inflammatories]

overuse of fenbendazole [the active ingrediant] has its problems including it not being effective ie the EC causing protozoa will become immune to fenbendazole.

I go with the most recent advice from the RWAF Veterinary Conference and a couple of Qualified Exotics Vets I have had contact with ie a one off 28 day course of Fenbendazole for all Rabbits. This should include attention to bleach cleaning the Rabbit's environment on days 21 and 28 of treatment and also minimising the risk of the Rabbit eating urine contaminated bedding/food etc.

The 9 day course is ineffective as a 'precaution' against EC, it would only address intestinal worms. There is debate as to whether Fenbendazole is of any use at all in cases of EC in its 'dormant' state, but atm it is still considered advisable to do the one off 28 day course.

After the one off 28 day course of treatment with Fenbendazole is only repeated should clinical symptoms of EC present.

There is a risk of resistance to Fenbendazole if repeated courses are administered.

Last edited:
I go with the most recent advice from the RWAF Veterinary Conference and a couple of Qualified Exotics Vets I have had contact with ie a one off 28 day course of Fenbendazole for all Rabbits. This should include attention to bleach cleaning the Rabbit's environment on days 21 and 28 of treatment and also minimising the risk of the Rabbit eating urine contaminated bedding/food etc.

The 9 day course is ineffective as a 'precaution' against EC, it would only address intestinal worms. There is debate as to whether Fenbendazole is of any use at all in cases of EC in its 'dormant' state, but atm it is still considered advisable to do the one off 28 day course.

After the one off 28 day course treatment with Fenbendazole is only repeated should clinical symptoms of EC present.

There is a risk of resistance to Fenbendazole if repeated courses are administered.

this is now what i do, and my vet recommends too :)

overuse of fenbendazole [the active ingrediant] has its problems including it not being effective ie the EC causing protozoa will become immune to fenbendazole.

Has that actually been proven, or just speculation? :?

My opinion on all of this is that no-one really knows, so we make our own choices. I don't think I'll be using the 9 day courses when I have bunnies again, but things change all the time, including my views! :D

Back