PDA

View Full Version : Rescues! What are your accomodation requirements and measurements?!

Candiflare
01-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm sorry this might seem like an almighty fag to have to reply to this,butI'm about to employ a local carpenter to create my design for a bunny emporium in the back garden and would like to know what the average minimum space requirements are for a bun I would like to adopt as Buzz's girlfriend to live in there with him. I don't want to sign the cheque and then to have got the measurements wrong!

Also if I was considering bonding all four of my buns in the future, I would want to make it large enough for them all to live in there together someday.

I know all rescues are different but wondered if you could let me know the average requirements first for 2 medium sized buns, and then 4 medium sized buns.

Thanks

ecudc
01-03-2010, 08:14 PM
2 buns = 6ft by 2ft by 2ft hutch + a 6ft run for most recues
4 buns = 6ft by 4ft shed/playhouse + 6ft run again for most rescues

obviously those are minimums and anything extra you can give them, especially run wise is a bonus.

The Duchess
01-03-2010, 08:15 PM
4 buns = 6ft by 4ft shed + 6ft run again for most rescues

obviously those are minimums and anything extra you can give them, especially run wise is a bonus.

For ARC I'd agree with the above.

Candiflare
01-03-2010, 08:18 PM
4 buns = 6ft by 4ft shed/playhouse + 6ft run again for most rescues

Thanks!

Sorry to be daft... do you mean a 6ft by 6ft run?

Candiflare
01-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Also if you can give me any help with what type of wood I should ask the carpenter to use? I want HEAVY wood so that foxes cannot get in.

Becky86
01-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Our minimum requirements for a pair is 6x2x2 with a 6x4 run :) Obviously the bigger the better, especially the run :)

I agree about needing a shed for 4 buns :)

As for the wood, for a hutch tongue and groove is probably the best. Ask the person whos making it to use proper 1x 1/2 inch weld mesh and good bolts :) xXx

w1lll
01-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks!

Sorry to be daft... do you mean a 6ft by 6ft run?

A run in a square that all four sides are 6ft I imagine :wave:

Candiflare
01-03-2010, 09:09 PM
A run in a square that all four sides are 6ft I imagine :wave:

Thanks!

I like the look of the second one here.

http://www.yorkshirepetshop.co.uk/dog-kennels-with-runs-c-211_156_218.html

Would it have to be as tall as this?

w1lll
01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks!

I like the look of the second one here.

http://www.yorkshirepetshop.co.uk/dog-kennels-with-runs-c-211_156_218.html

Would it have to be as tall as this?

I don't think it would have to be that tall, I imagine 4ft or so should be fine

*Spider*
01-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I'd say make it as large as you can afford, but the minimum for 4 buns in my opinion would be 12x6ft

kaths101
01-03-2010, 09:32 PM
:wave: Ive just had a quote from a local man who is making mine - he is doing a 6ft 6' x 4 shed with cupboard compartment for hay and food etc which also acts as a ledge for them to sit on..

Then a 6 x 6 attached aviary run which is 5ft tall (as I wanted it tall enough so i could sit in with them) this also has a door.

He is making it for 2 pairs but could also use for 4 if i decide to bond as a group..

I think he has enjoyed designing it :lol::lol: got different levels and all sorts - hes quoted me 418 just to give you a guide.

There is someone on ebay selling a similar kennel and run to the link you have posted selling for 290.. it is 10 x 4 x 5 - I nearly had that but didnt think it was quite big enough for 4.

Hth xx

Candiflare
01-03-2010, 09:34 PM
:wave: Ive just had a quote from a local man who is making mine - he is doing a 6ft 6' x 4 shed with cupboard compartment for hay and food etc which also acts as a ledge for them to sit on..

Then a 6 x 6 attached aviary run which is 5ft tall (as I wanted it tall enough so i could sit in with them) this also has a door.

He is making it for 2 pairs but could also use for 4 if i decide to bond as a group..

I think he has enjoyed designing it :lol::lol: got different levels and all sorts - hes quoted me 418 just to give you a guide.

There is someone on ebay selling a similar kennel and run to the link you have posted selling for 290.. it is 10 x 4 x 5 - I nearly had that but didnt think it was quite big enough for 4.

Hth xx

So are you hoping to bond your four Kath? That'd be great!

kaths101
01-03-2010, 09:41 PM
So are you hoping to bond your four Kath? That'd be great!

Yes im soooo hoping to bond the 4 (well Im not - Kris at Starlights where im getting Mittens has offered :D) - Im so scared as I dont want to break Sooty and Oreos bond but they would have so much more space and life would be alot easier if they were a 4!!

They could also free-range all at once etc..

Im just worried about Oreo and Charlie getting along :? but think its worth a go and if it doesnt work then at least i can say I tried..
Worst case scenario I end up with 4 singles - I have room for them all 2 inside and 2 outside and Im sure it wont come to that - I will be pleased with 2 pairs too - so watch this space :D

Candiflare
01-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Yes im soooo hoping to bond the 4 (well Im not - Kris at Starlights where im getting Mittens has offered :D) - Im so scared as I dont want to break Sooty and Oreos bond but they would have so much more space and life would be alot easier if they were a 4!!

They could also free-range all at once etc..

Im just worried about Oreo and Charlie getting along :? but think its worth a go and if it doesnt work then at least i can say I tried..
Worst case scenario I end up with 4 singles - I have room for them all 2 inside and 2 outside and Im sure it wont come to that - I will be pleased with 2 pairs too - so watch this space :D

Cool! I want to bond my 3 with a rescue too and again I'm worried about Ralph and Buzz! Same situ as you, Ralph attacked Buzz last time they got together :(
Will deffo be watching this space!!!

kaths101
01-03-2010, 09:49 PM
:thumb: I will prob be on here fretting soon :lol:

Mittens is getting spayed Wednesday then it will all be happening a few weeks after that!!

edited to say hopefully charlie and oreo have forgetton their spat (and your 2!)and I dont think i really helped so hopefully will go better with kris doing it..